Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding minimum and maximum points in profile labels

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
tsachi
2165 Views, 29 Replies

Adding minimum and maximum points in profile labels

Hi.

I'm looking for a way to add a marker with location & elevation data to the profile (not the bands).

Only mention i found in this forum was for civil2011 (i have 2013) and it is no longer available.

Thanks.

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: tsachi

please ellaborate. Are you wanting tick marks on the profile for high and low points in VC?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 30
tsachi
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Not just tick marks, block/text with the location and elevation (similar to grade break).

Message 4 of 30
troma

What does 'location' mean to you? Do you mean the station, or northing/easting, or something else?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 30
Joe-Bouza

If you look in the VC label style you can add the lp and hp elevation station location and text to a block of your design

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 30
tsachi

Thanks.

I'm not clear on what VC means, i'm quite new to civil3d.

I've figured out how to add labels that note the station and elevation via Station elevation in "Add view label". My problem is that there are no snap points in the profile to indicate the position of the min/max point and so i need to draw lines and place the block near the profile (since the profile line does not allow snap).

If anyone has a better method and can provide an explenation on how it's done, i'd be gratefull.

Message 7 of 30
Joe-Bouza

The VC is a Vertical Curve. It is not clear what you mean by max min points; I assumed you ment high point and low point? Can you post a picture?

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 30
troma

Not sure why you can't snap to the profile, I normally can.

However, I think there's a better way.  Do you want labels on all grade changes (PVIs), or just where it is a high point or a low point?

If it is all of them, make a profile 'Grade Break' label, rather than a profile view label.

Mark Green

Message 9 of 30
tsachi
in reply to: troma

Really appreciate all your help, in the short time i have been posting questions here, i got so meny helpfull responces it's overwhelming. THANK YOU

Back to our regular programing...

By min/max points i mean high/low points (english isn't my first language and some of the technical terms get lost in translation).

For some reason (i have yet to talk to our local autodesk dealer for support) i can't snap to the profile or the table itself. This makes my life alot harder than they need to be. so placing tags manually on the high/low points is doable, but time consuming, specially with a project that has meny roads and some are quite long.

I only need the high/low points, i allready know how to place grade data in the table and the profile.

Message 10 of 30
troma

I would still do it with a Profile 'Grade Break' label, but you have to test to see if it is a high/low point first.  You can do this with an expression.

You can appreciate that for high/low points, the {Grade In} and {Grade Out} will have opposite signs—one is positive and the other is negative.  Whereas for other grade breaks, they are either both positive or both negative.  You can use this to create your logical test.  I think this should work:

IF({Grade In}*{Grade Out} <0, (your text height in either feet or metres) , 0)

The multiplication of {Grade In}*{Grade Out} will always be less than zero ( a negative number) for high & low points, and greater than zero for the others.  Use the expression to set the text height of a label component that labels the station and elevation of the grade break.

Mark Green

Message 11 of 30
Joe-Bouza

Absolutely. And to take it further with two expresions to lable hp or lp

HP:= If( gradein>gradeout, textht,0)
LP:= If( gradein<gradeout, textht,0)

Your Name

EESignature

Message 12 of 30
tsachi

Again, thank you.

I'm, quite new to civil3d. The expressions your talking about are suppose to be written as formula when i create a new tag style?

Message 13 of 30
troma

Toolspace > Settings > Profile > Label Styles > Grade Breaks > Expressions
Right click & go to New.

Give the expression a useful name that you will recognize later, and preferably put a good description in there too.

Then when you create the label, you can use the expression as either the text of a component, or in this case to control the text height of the component.

Mark Green

Message 14 of 30
troma

I think to combine my idea along with Joe's, you need the three expressions. If you write mine, and give it the name textht, then you can write Joe's as he wrote them and call up mine within it (I think that's what Joe meant, although I really should stop guessing, shouldn't I Joe 😉 )
Then you make two components in the label. One uses Joe's HP expression as the text height, the other uses the LP expression.

Of course, if you intend on labelling the high & low points identically with no distinguishing features, then one expression and one label component will do it just fine.

Mark Green

Message 15 of 30
tsachi

Will try it tommorow morning, when my brain resumes it's normal functions.

I'll let you know

Thanks!

Message 16 of 30
Joe-Bouza

I think I agree. Can you post the pseudo code so I can understand how that call works?

Your Name

EESignature

Message 17 of 30
troma

As soon as you create an expression, the expression is added to the list of values that you can use in other expressions. So here's how is would go:

First expression;
Name: Text Height
Expression: IF({Grade In}*{Grade Out} <0, (your text height in either feet or metres) , 0)

Second expression;
Name: HP
Expression: IF({Grade In}>{Grade Out}, {Text Height},0)

Third expression;
Name: LP
Expression: IF({Grade In}<{Grade Out}, {Text Height},0)

First component;
Text: HP = Station, Elevation (use proper fields)
Text height = HP

Second component;
Text: LP = Station, Elevation (use proper fields)
Text height = LP

If you were to use just your two without referencing mine, you would get so-called "HP" labels wherever the grade was decreasing, and "LP" wherever it is increasing.

Mark Green

Message 18 of 30
Joe-Bouza

DynOmite! <G>

Your Name

EESignature

Message 19 of 30
tsachi

Hi.

This is a little out of my range for the moment.

Any chance you can send me a finished label style?

Message 20 of 30
Joe-Bouza

We'll get it straightened out. I asked troma to give it a look over - screwed something up in the definition.

rename extension to dwg

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report