Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding data to points

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
RAY629
647 Views, 11 Replies

Adding data to points

Is there a way to have multiple elvations on a single point?

Such as with a top & bottom of curb.

I have tried to add a component to the style, assign the name as the control, and put in the elevation

I want, but you can't have multiple points with the same name.

anyone.................

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: RAY629

If the elevation is a consistant difference, as your example of top & bottom of curb, you could write an expression then add that to the label style for the elevation.  In this case I've created the expression of Point Elevation - 0.5 and shown that below my TC: elevation as FL: (gutter).

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 3 of 12

Not got civil3d in front of me but throwing ideas about. You could do this using referance text, perhaps a dummy point or a dynamic Feature line. You'd need to set each one manually so time consuming. A simpler way would be to perform a cross section set out report and edit so that you use point codes in a csv file. Then with description keys you could set up for each desired value and display on the channel using the full description. Won't be dynamic but will work.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 4 of 12
stacy.dunn

You can add the additional elevation as a UDP and then it can use it in a label style component.

Stacy Dunn
Message 5 of 12
ericcollins6932

To answer the original question, you cannot have a vertical wall in C3D (otherwise known as a point with equal xy and different z.

You will have to offset your top of curb horizontally a hair. (Scientifically speaking, a hair being a very small amount)

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 6 of 12
MikeEvansUK

Untrue. You can have a vertical wall in civil 3d which i often do but you can't have two points co-existing in the same xy plane in a surface model and generate a vertical surface.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 7 of 12
IanMcClain
in reply to: stacy.dunn

As Stacy suggests, User Defined Properties are a good way to do this.

see here for some info:

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCUG/GUID-31D42176-1ED4-4074-99D3-A348CB832F1-585.htm

I also have used expressions for things like curb and gutter, where all you want is a label that takes the point elevation and adds or subtracts a curb height to it.

Ian McClain
Message 8 of 12
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: IanMcClain

Thank god for English was afraid the op would get lost with the term udp. I was for a bit. If the kerbface is constant use that method otherwise you may need to manually edit the point label. Different styles for kerbface but you can override the text on each point. (And other labels) . Few methods for this, none dynamic yet so take ur pick.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English

Message 9 of 12
RAY629
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Thanks

For situations where I need a top & bottom of curb I created an expression with a consistant elevation difference.  I also have times when I have a wall top and then changing ex ground elevations. For these I used the UDP

and both are working great. Thank you for your help

Message 10 of 12
onsionsi1

can you explain the stepses to do that. I don't know what do you mean of UDP.

For your advice

Thank you.

Please do not forget approve as solutions and Points
to Remember Please Accept as Solution and Kudos Please
Message 11 of 12
troma
in reply to: onsionsi1

UDP = User Defined Property.

Read all the comments here carefully and read the links, look at the pictures posted.  There is probably enough information to get you going.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 12 of 12
stacy.dunn
in reply to: troma

Custom properties from online help menu.  It should give you enough info to get them built.  You should also try searching this group for UDPs.  There have been several explanations.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesCUG/GUID-05D9F8B4-010B-4242-B96A-0961BE2...

Stacy Dunn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report