Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a Cross section to a Section View Group

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Jay_B
12408 Views, 25 Replies

Adding a Cross section to a Section View Group

Is it possible to add additional cross sections (sample lines added after views were created) to an existing Section View Group?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
SkipBurns
in reply to: Jay_B

No.. it's not.  What I do is just mark the lower left corner of the view group and delete it, then create a new one at the same point.

Message 3 of 26
Jay_B
in reply to: SkipBurns

Thanks for the reply,

That's what we do to but it's one of those "most asked" questions I get so I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone had a workaround for it.

Seems like a common task that is most likely already on the "Wish List" more than once. Smiley Mad

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 4 of 26
jmayo-EE

WHy can't you do this? I can add sample lines to groups after views are created. The views won't automatically adjust to place the new sec view in order but it is possible.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 26
Jay_B
in reply to: jmayo-EE

John,

I should've mentioned that the goal was to find a way to have Civil 3d reshuffle the deck and place newly added section views in the proper station order. Is this possible?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 6 of 26
jmayo-EE

Sorry about that then. Skip was smack on. C3D won't re-deal the cards. 😉

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 26
Jay_B
in reply to: SkipBurns

Thanks guys, sure seems like a simple oversight in the software.

This is extremely common in our work and I get this question as much as any other Civil 3d question here, so

I have to believe there are many out there who wish this was possible.

Added it to the Wish list.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 8 of 26
Hammer.john.j

I always come looking for the answer to this, and low and behold i keep forgetting it's not possible.  it's not a problem if everything in the cross section is automated from the corridor, but when you project objects and add some manual drafting things become interesting when additional sample lines are added..... otherwise you could just draw a placeholder line from the insertion point of the group and re-populate the sections.... alas useless if everything isn't automated from the corridor or surfaces

i really really wish they'd fix this.

John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager
Message 9 of 26
slant

so you can't add a sample line to an existing group?  I thought i was coming here to find out how to do it... not if it were possible...

Message 10 of 26
jmayo-EE
in reply to: slant

You can add a sample line to an exiasting group. The software just won't place a section view for the new sample line automatically.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 26
yosephk

Yes, it is possible.

Copy any existing sample line by right clicking the grip and move it to a station you want. Then update section view layout. A new section view will be added to the existing section view group.

Windows 10 Pro x 64
16 GB Ram
Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2 @ 3.1 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro 600
Civil 3D 2019
Message 12 of 26
yosephk
in reply to: Hammer.john.j

Copy any existing sample line by right clicking the grip and move it to a station you want. Then update section view layout. A new section view will be added to the existing section view group.

Windows 10 Pro x 64
16 GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro 600
Civil 3D 2019
Message 13 of 26
h.malgarezi
in reply to: yosephk

That worked for me! You can add a new sample line by copying an existing one and the new section view will be created. Then you just need to update group layout.

But be aware that when you copy the sample line, the new one will be created in the same station as the one you are copying, so you just need to select and drag it to the station you need.

Message 14 of 26
Jay_B

Thanks and Kudos to you for sharing this solution!

I've been searching for a way to do this for a long time.

The ability to add a Sample Line / Section View after the fact in the proper order should be an included feature IMO.

But this is a very acceptable workaround as it gets the job done.

A recap of a test here:

1. Copy a sample line within the SLG you're adding SL to.

2. Display Order > Send to back, the same sample line (as the newly copied SL-1 (1) will be underneath original SL-1).

4. Move new SL-1 (1) to desired stationing using diamond grip.

5. "Update Group Layout" and Newly sdded Section View will appear in the proper stationing order. (The deck is re-shuffled)!

6. Another word of caution, if using a Materials List to report Total Volume etc.:

A new "Materials List" must be created as the old Materials List doesn't know anything about the newly

added Sample Lines and must be recalculated.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 15 of 26
yosephk

Sure. To avoid copying the sample line on top of each other hold your mouse until you place it to a new station. Basically, it is copy and move.

Windows 10 Pro x 64
16 GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro 600
Civil 3D 2019
Message 16 of 26
bpoleuca

for this answer you deserve a beer ..... thank you very much. good luck
Message 17 of 26
Joe-Bouza

Nice yosephk, very nice

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 18 of 26
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: bpoleuca

A beer and a bump up the ladder

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 19 of 26
bpoleuca

Thank you for this information too.

I think that this solution is a "bug", but a good one.

I tell this because in no manual is presented and for sure it was a minus for the software.

Thanks Jay_B for tell us about your test.

Message 20 of 26
yosephk
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I enjoyed getting a lot of kudos for this solution. Finally Autodesk fixed this issue with 2018 civil 3D release. Good for all.

Windows 10 Pro x 64
16 GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro 600
Civil 3D 2019

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report