AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Active Contributor
Redli1
Message 11 of 16 (140 Views)

Re: Adding Profile Elevation

01-22-2013 06:34 AM in reply to: troma

No, I created the water profile from a text file.

I was thinking to export all 3 profile to excel, calculate (Water Level - Surface Profile 1 + Surface Profile 2) and import the result as profile into C3D. Unfortunately the three profile does not have the same vertice for the caluculation in Excel

Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 12 of 16 (133 Views)

01-22-2013 06:43 AM in reply to: Redli1

Oh, that's easy. You just set up your spreadsheet to calc grades between PVI's and interpolate elevations for any needed vertex. 

Your engineer should be able to quickly handle that in Excel if you supply him/her with the data. Then you can put the resultant profile they produce in Excel, into CAD.

Ernst Engineering
Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2014 SP1
W7x64; i7 8gb; Radeon HD 5700
www.ernstengineering.com
Active Contributor
Redli1
Message 13 of 16 (129 Views)

01-22-2013 07:03 AM in reply to: fcernst

Sorry fcernst I do not understand terms like kick out profiles of crank on data.

Neither with xml export or with incremental stationing report I get vertices at the same station for the different profiles which is necessary for calculation in Excel

Active Contributor
Redli1
Message 14 of 16 (122 Views)

01-22-2013 07:15 AM in reply to: fcernst

One profile has 630 and the other 840 PVIs at differnt stations!

Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 15 of 16 (119 Views)

01-22-2013 07:18 AM in reply to: Redli1

Oh ok. That's just a little friendly calculation slang for getting things done here :smileyhappy:  Hi there, what country are you from?

Again, you don't need to have every PVI match at first!

Pick a base control profile for your convention... I'm guessing it would be the water surface profile for your case.

So, you have to interpolate elevations for the Water Surface PVI stationing on the other two surface profiles because they may not have those PVI stations. Then you can compute your equation above as you stated for the resultant profile.

This can all be easily done simultaneously in Excel.

Ernst Engineering
Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2014 SP1
W7x64; i7 8gb; Radeon HD 5700
www.ernstengineering.com
*Expert Elite*
Message 16 of 16 (103 Views)

01-22-2013 09:46 AM in reply to: Redli1

If you're more comfortable working in C3D than Excel, there is still a way to use my suggestion.  First you have to make a corridor from your water level profile.  Make it flat and narrow, just wide enough to be useful.

Then you can make a surface from the corridor, and proceed to use the volume surfaces method I described.  Finish off by making a surface profile of the new water level surface.

The one advantage of doing it inside Civil 3D is that it will be dynamic.  If you update surface1 or surface2 or the exisitng water surface, in all cases the new water level surface will update according to the calculations built in.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs