Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Points to a Surface...

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
accarr03
2478 Views, 7 Replies

Adding Points to a Surface...

I have created a surface with a point group.  I have a few points on the edge of my surface that need to be added to the surface.  I can add them to the point group, but when I updated my surface nothing happens.  The triangles don't extend to my newly added points and my profile of the area doesn't show a surface where these new points should be.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?  As far as I can tell, the new points I want to add have the same properties as the other points in the point group, they are cogo points.  Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: accarr03

Did you "Update" the existing Point Group and "Rebuild" the surface?

Is there an old boundary in the surface definition inside the added points?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
accarr03
in reply to: Jay_B

I did Update and Rebuild.....good call on the boundary, there is one.  I didn't create this surface, but if I delete the boundary it adds in the points I need. I'll just have to delete some lines to make up for the boundary.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: accarr03

"I'll just have to delete some lines to make up for the boundary."

Not sure I follow here but the old boundary can be removed from the definition and then add a new boundary

outside the newly added points.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: Jay_B

@Anonymous wrote:

"I'll just have to delete some lines to make up for the boundary."

Not sure I follow here but the old boundary can be removed from the definition and then add a new boundary

outside the newly added points.

Or, just edit the boundary if it's still in the drawing. If it's not, insert it and then edit it. No need to get rid of it and add in a new one (unless the changes are very drastic and it would be easier to recreate then edit).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 8
rkmin
in reply to: BrianHailey

@BrianHailey wrote:

Or, just edit the boundary if it's still in the drawing. If it's not, insert it and then edit it. No need to get rid of it and add in a new one (unless the changes are very drastic and it would be easier to recreate then edit).

How do you edit the boundary and do you have to rebuild the surface after edit?

Message 7 of 8
doni49
in reply to: rkmin

@rkmin wrote:

@BrianHailey wrote:

AddSurfaceBoundary.png

You'll be prompted for a name of the boundary.  Then for a closed shape.  Select the boundary shape.

Now if you alter the boundary shape (using the Grip edits), the surface will update automatically.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 8 of 8
doni49
in reply to: doni49

@doni49 wrote:

@rkmin wrote:

@BrianHailey wrote:

AddSurfaceBoundary.png

You'll be prompted for a name of the boundary.  Then for a closed shape.  Select the boundary shape.

Now if you alter the boundary shape (using the Grip edits), the surface will update automatically.

EDIT:  if you haven't already added a boundary shape yet, then you can export the Surface "border" which will create a closed polyline.  Then add that as a boundary (I do this all the time if I just need to alter one portion of what C3D already sees as the border/boundary.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report