Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add text to sit on a polyline

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
evecin88
4947 Views, 11 Replies

Add text to sit on a polyline

Hello everybody,

Recently my company has changed the standards to label existing utilities with text right above the utilitie lines without leaders. I would like to do automate this process somehow using attributes or something similar to that. I have attached a screen shot of how I would like it to look. The objective is to speed up the labeling process.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
troma
in reply to: evecin88

You could make a line label to say that. But if you're looking to pull attributes out of the linework...have you looked into using pipe networks?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 12
evecin88
in reply to: troma

Thanks for the response. Yes we do use pipe networks however that would be more time consuming than what I was thinking of. Can I convert a polyline In a way that it has its own labels like pipe networks?
Message 4 of 12
Joe-Bouza

If not a lable style you can alway make a lintype to do that by layer, block or entity
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 12
evecin88
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Can I make a linetype with text offset up from the center? Also I heard of something called text wave doing this but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks!
Message 6 of 12
Joe-Bouza

you can make any offset. the issue I see coming is do you not want it to repeat? complext ltypes will repeat the text at a defined interval relative to the dwg scale
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 12
DaveM
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

The way i have dealt with this issue at my company is to use dynamic blocks. I gave created a block containg specific texts, for example APP RW. Within the block I put a dynamic alignment point set to tangent. I then have multiple Tool palletes that contain the various blocks. So in the end I select the text I would like to attach to the line, put it near the line, reselect the text and use the grips to have it attach to the line I choose.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 8 of 12
Neilw_05

You might find the Map the annotation tools helpful as well. You can apply object data to the lines and it will be used in the labels. Changes to the object data will be propogated to the labels. If the lines move, the labels will follow.

I'm not sure if we can make the labels align to the line though. Will have to run some tests later.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 9 of 12
evecin88
in reply to: DaveM

Thanks Dave, that would be a possibility if I don't find a more automated and quicker way to do this.
Message 10 of 12
evecin88
in reply to: Neilw_05

Neil, this sounds very interesting. I have never played with those functions. I will research them. If you do find anything I would appreciate your further input. Thank you!
Message 11 of 12
Neilw_05

Rather than spend a lot of time setting up and testing something extravagant, I'm going to suggest a simple and trusty technique that has worked well for me over the years.

What I do is create a dimension style for labeling the pipes. The style has no terminators, dimension lines or extension lines. Essentially the dimension style is just the text component, so when you place it on the line you get a piece of text that stays aligned and you can slide it along the line. The nice thing about using a dimension is it always stays aligned and in it's relative position should the line move or change length. It allows for global edits by changing the style. Since it is a generic entity it can be used on most any object and it is simple to use and manage.

Of course when you place the dimensions, the text will show the the length of the element by default, so you'll have override the values afterwards, but you can do that by selection set so it's not a lot of work.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 12 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Neilw_05

Nice idea Neil
you can also define the dim style with a prefix of suffix for the pipe material, etc. of course you still have to get rid of the dimension but can save some typing.

I use that for actual dimensions like (X'- wide concrete sidewalk) as an example
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report