Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add specific, individual, non-interval contour lines to surface

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
8595 Views, 11 Replies

Add specific, individual, non-interval contour lines to surface

Is there a way to add an additional, individual contour line to a surface at a specific elevation?  For example, if we are creating an as-built surface that includes a pond, we might want to have a contour at the top of the pond, or if we are creating a proposed surface, we might want to add a contour line at some proposed normal pool elevation, neither of which will probably fall at an even foot.

Thank you,

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: Anonymous

User-defined contours.....make sure your Surface style is set to display them, then in the Surface properties, Analysis tab, select User defined Contours for the Type, enter 1 for the range, then change the elevation to the one you want in the Range Details panel.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

Jeff,

Thanks again.  You've been such a help today.

Message 4 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Yes, that is a "user contour", define it in the surface properties analysis tab>> analysis type >>> user defined contours. You can make as many as you like. One caveat; your surface style needs to be set to display "user contours".

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
jmayo-EE

Oh, it's not just today. 😉

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Jeff_M

Glad I could help, Tom.

If you find a response which answers your question, please be sure to accept it as the solution. This will help future searchers quickly find answers to their own questions. Thanks!

EESignature
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff_M

Now how do i extract these user defined lines and have them stay when i switch back to 1 foot contour surface? Extract button is deleting them when i change surface back to one foot contours.

Message 8 of 12
neilyj666

Use the Extract Objects from the Surface Tools Panel from the contextual ribbon when you have the surface selected

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

I do that and it extracts but then when i switch back to any other surface style them lines are gone.

Message 10 of 12
Jeff_M

Are you actually extracting them? The extracted objects are polylines and no longer have any ties to the surface or style.
EESignature
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff_M

Yes and they become polylines (actually creates two polylines on each one), but when i switch surface style back there is a hole there where they were. It used to work. I am in ACAD 2014.

Message 12 of 12
shadysuliman15

i was able to add the user contours for the contour elevation i wanted for my pond but whenever i try to edit surface after that (swap edge, add surface point) the user contours get deleted, any idea on what this may be?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report