Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add image from web

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
sshafer
354 Views, 5 Replies

Add image from web

Hi All,

I am using Civil 3D 2013 for mapping survey topography work and have liked the ability to xref site photos onto the location that I snapped the picture from. In the past I have stored the .jpg photos on our network drives and C3D has done exactly what I wanted, placed a very small image on my drawing that you can zoom in on to see site details. We are moving to a Sharepoint environment for storing photos, so one of my first experiments was to try to xref a photo from there. I used the Attach Image ... option as usual, then used the Search the Web tool and navigated to my photos. That all worked as before with the file based system and I was very happy. The next time I opened the drawing the images were not there. I looked at the reference and found that it was not pointing to the URL I had navigated to, but to a copy in C:\Users\....\Temporary Internet Files\... \12StreamSurveyingIsFun[1].jpg which I assume gets flushed out whenever the temporary files get cleared. This is not going to work for my purposes.

My question is can I make a reference to a URL that is persistent? I am not clear on why the xref was pointed to my temporary internet files instead of the web location that I selected.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
wfberry
in reply to: sshafer

This does not answer your question directly but I have just finished a large topo project and just by luck came up with this:

1. Using my iPhone and an app called THEODILITE HD.

2.  Using a couple of routines that come with ToolPac and Mapworks from Dotsoft.

My drawing file is setup for my State Plane coordinate system.

These pictures have all this information embedded in them and a small block is inserted on the layer of my choice and at the location that I was standing and the block arrowhead is pointed in the direction I was taking the picture.  BTW, I inserted these blocks 75 ea. at a time from 3 different directories.

Once installed, all I have to do is run the Image Inquiry Routine and drag my cursor over the block and that particular picture is shown. As I move the cursor across the screen every time I pass a block a picture jumps up and doesn't leave until I hover over the next block.

It is fantastic.  It adds hardly any size to the drawing file.

BTW, I have no connection or monetary advantage here other than using these products.

Bill

Seriously if anyone wants to know more, I will be happy to relate.  I cannot tell you how much time this has saved me.

Message 3 of 6
sshafer
in reply to: sshafer

Thanks Bill-

I will look at the app. It sounds like it may be another solution.

Message 4 of 6
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: wfberry

Sounds great Bill. Is that all from tool pac?
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 6
TerryDotson
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Bill has all our products so he has a lot of additional functionality to choose from.

The ability to view hyperlinked images by simply hovering the cursor is in both ToolPac & MapWorks.

Since geo-images are in Lat/Long, the image symbol place is only in MapWorks Base (since it has projection support).

Even though your ToolPac version is very old, you can always upgrade.  Drop me an email if you're interested.

Message 6 of 6
TerryDotson
in reply to: wfberry

Finally got around to making some rough demo videos of this.

Placing the symbols into a drawing:
http://www.dotsoft.com/demos/mwPrjImgExi.htm

Inspecting the linked images by hovering:
http://www.dotsoft.com/demos/mwImgLnkIns.htm

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report