AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

ajmmb6
Message 1 of 6 (241 Views)

ASCII point file from selecting offset & Elevation

241 Views, 5 Replies
01-24-2014 08:01 AM

Can I create a surface from a point group created from offset and elevation points taken from a section?.  Can I do this by simply selecting the points on the section, rather than have to write down the information, and create the comma deliminated ASCII file on my own.

Valued Mentor
dmartin
Message 2 of 6 (227 Views)

Re: ASCII point file from selecting offset & Elevation

01-24-2014 09:58 AM in reply to: ajmmb6

ajmmb6 wrote:

Can I create a surface from a point group created from offset and elevation points taken from a section?.  Can I do this by simply selecting the points on the section, rather than have to write down the information, and create the comma deliminated ASCII file on my own.

I am having trouble following your question. Yes you can specify a point group with selected points only. Also you can export only the points of a certain point group. Are you looking for directions on how to do either of these processes?

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Valued Mentor
ericcollins6932
Message 3 of 6 (219 Views)

01-24-2014 10:39 AM in reply to: ajmmb6

If they are civil points, you can add them to a point group by selection.

Capture.PNG

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
Intel i7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2012 SP2
ajmmb6
Message 4 of 6 (201 Views)

01-24-2014 06:56 PM in reply to: ajmmb6

The procedure I have completed for this project so far is as follows;

1. Create a TIN Surface from existing topographic mapping
  2. Create a baseline alignment through the center of my site
  3. Create profiles and sections (sample lines) off of the baseline on 200' intervals throughout the site. Plot existing grades on profiles & sections.
  4. Set-up a point group named FG Points

The following is the procedure that I would like to take to complete my grading;

1. Hand draft in my proposed grading (FG) on the sections (or profiles)
  2. Create an ASCII point file from selected FG points (offset & elevation)
  3. Import the ASCII point file (see image below)

I have attached a spreadsheet that I used to create the ASCII file (also attached).  In the past, after recording the station, offset, elevation information in excel (from the drafted section lines), I would use the "point import from file" command I bring the file into the FG point group, then create a Final Grade TIN surface from the point group.

The purpose of this post is to see if I could skip the step where I have to record each measurement in excel.  I know there is a create points from profile geometry command, but I don't want to bog down the drawing by creating a bunch of Civil 3D profiles.

Thanks again.

Import.jpg

ajmmb6
Message 5 of 6 (198 Views)

01-24-2014 07:13 PM in reply to: ajmmb6

I don't know if this helps or not, but for this project, I created sections at 200 ft intervals along a 11,000 LF Baseline.  The object is to create a Final Grade surface for a Landfill project.  The project calls for 20ft wide benches every 20 vertical feet, and for each bench to act as drainage terraces; draining at 2% toward down slope ditches.  The landfill will be approx. 10,000 ft long by 1,500 feet wide, and 500' high in some sections. 

Valued Mentor
ericcollins6932
Message 6 of 6 (186 Views)

01-24-2014 08:42 PM in reply to: ajmmb6
Build another file of profiles and dref everything else in to prevent bogging down your file with points. Then export from that file.
Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
Intel i7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2012 SP2

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs