Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASCII point file from selecting offset & Elevation

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ajmmb6
427 Views, 5 Replies

ASCII point file from selecting offset & Elevation

Can I create a surface from a point group created from offset and elevation points taken from a section?.  Can I do this by simply selecting the points on the section, rather than have to write down the information, and create the comma deliminated ASCII file on my own.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
DaveM
in reply to: ajmmb6

@ajmmb6 wrote:

Can I create a surface from a point group created from offset and elevation points taken from a section?.  Can I do this by simply selecting the points on the section, rather than have to write down the information, and create the comma deliminated ASCII file on my own.

I am having trouble following your question. Yes you can specify a point group with selected points only. Also you can export only the points of a certain point group. Are you looking for directions on how to do either of these processes?

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 3 of 6
ericcollins6932

If they are civil points, you can add them to a point group by selection.

Capture.PNG

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 4 of 6
ajmmb6

The procedure I have completed for this project so far is as follows;

1. Create a TIN Surface from existing topographic mapping
  2. Create a baseline alignment through the center of my site
  3. Create profiles and sections (sample lines) off of the baseline on 200' intervals throughout the site. Plot existing grades on profiles & sections.
  4. Set-up a point group named FG Points

The following is the procedure that I would like to take to complete my grading;

1. Hand draft in my proposed grading (FG) on the sections (or profiles)
  2. Create an ASCII point file from selected FG points (offset & elevation)
  3. Import the ASCII point file (see image below)

I have attached a spreadsheet that I used to create the ASCII file (also attached).  In the past, after recording the station, offset, elevation information in excel (from the drafted section lines), I would use the "point import from file" command I bring the file into the FG point group, then create a Final Grade TIN surface from the point group.

The purpose of this post is to see if I could skip the step where I have to record each measurement in excel.  I know there is a create points from profile geometry command, but I don't want to bog down the drawing by creating a bunch of Civil 3D profiles.

Thanks again.

Import.jpg

Message 5 of 6
ajmmb6

I don't know if this helps or not, but for this project, I created sections at 200 ft intervals along a 11,000 LF Baseline.  The object is to create a Final Grade surface for a Landfill project.  The project calls for 20ft wide benches every 20 vertical feet, and for each bench to act as drainage terraces; draining at 2% toward down slope ditches.  The landfill will be approx. 10,000 ft long by 1,500 feet wide, and 500' high in some sections. 

Message 6 of 6
ericcollins6932

Build another file of profiles and dref everything else in to prevent bogging down your file with points. Then export from that file.
Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report