Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A real time Saver!

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
JeffWright5789
661 Views, 12 Replies

A real time Saver!

Annotative text Disappears...  You've got to be kidding me...  Every little thing insignificant you try takes 6 or 7 hours?  I swear...    Wouldn't be nice to have 2 viewports on a single layout, viewport 1 at 1/8 scale the other at 1/4 scale (an enlargment) and have the text come out the at the proper size in both viewports?...

That would be perfect!!!  That would save countless hours of changing text sizes ect...  Wouldn't it?...  Here's a better Idea...  Do all your design in model space then switch to paperspace and watch all the text disappear.   Personally, Not a bad solution, that way when you send out your drawings there's no real work actually specified on the drawing...  this way nobody actually has to do anything...

Appreciate all the help from the Forum
Version: AutoCAD C3D 2010
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Murph_Map
in reply to: JeffWright5789

Is there a question in there? or are you just trying to use annotation text with C3D labels? Most everyone I know does NOT use annotation styles for text. If your label styles are set right there is no need to.

Are you assigning the annoscale to match the vport scales?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 13

Civil 3D labels that scale seem to function correctly... I have a floor plan with room labels.  The floor plan is at 1/8 scale in 1 viewport and the other is at 1/4 scale  both on the same layout.   Text that is not an annotative style and on model space does not disappear.  text that is annotative with a 1/8 scale disappears,  text with 1/4 scale disappears... text with both 1/8 and 1/4 scales disappears...   actually does not even exist when in paperspace.  when accessing model space while in paperspace the text doesn't even seem to exist...?

Message 4 of 13

As far as annotative text, do people NOT use it because it doesn't work as described in the Help or it just doesn't work or are we misunderstanding it's purpose or use...? 

Message 5 of 13
Sinc

Annotative Text works fine, and has some significant advantages over C3D labels.  We use a combination of both.  Not sure where that idea comes from, that nobody uses Annotative Text.

Annotative objects will only appear in viewports that are set to a scale in the Scale List for the Annotative object.  Select the Annotative object, right-click -> Annotative Object Scales.

This is by design.  It allows you to create text that only appears in certain scales of viewports.  That lets you create labels for details without using a lot of layers and VPFreeze operations.

Annotative objects can also have different placements for different scales.  For example, you can have an MLeader with text that is in one position at 1" = 100', but much closer to the labeled object at 1" = 20'.

It takes a bit to get used to the way the Annotative Scales work.  And truth be told, I kind of wish Autodesk had taken a different approach.  But it works as-designed.

Sinc
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

I am trying to figure out why you are working on an Architectural Building Floor Plan in Civil 3D but that is not either here nor there...

Have you tried the ANNOALLVISIBLE setting and seen if it makes a difference?

Have you made sure that the scales that the text has assigned is the exact same scale from the pulldown for the viewport?

Have you checked to make sure that the annotation layer is not frozen in that viewport?

Just some quick checks. If so, maybe you can post the file?

Message 7 of 13
Sinc

You might also want to check out the behavior of ANNOAUTOSCALE.  This is something we usually leave off, but it can be handy in some situations.  And there's a little symbol in the status bar, next to the scale list, that can be used to toggle this setting between "Manual" and "Automatic".

Sinc
Message 8 of 13

I see...  Viewport scale must match a text scale that is in the text scale list...

Message 9 of 13
Murph_Map

@JeffWright5789 wrote:

I see...  Viewport scale must match a text scale that is in the text scale list...

Yes, that's what I was saying here "Are you assigning the annoscale to match the vport scales?" in my first reply.

Murph
Message 10 of 13
Murph_Map
in reply to: Sinc

@Sinc wrote:

Annotative Text works fine, and has some significant advantages over C3D labels.  We use a combination of both.  Not sure where that idea comes from, that nobody uses Annotative Text.

I won't ague on that, just that I see a lot of users staying away from it and creating extra label styles, maybe a few too many at times. The other thing I see new users trying to do is use an annotated text style in a label style. Now just throw some FDO labels in there and I'll buy stock in Bayer

Murph
Message 11 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

I was thinking the same thing Joshua.

I'm reading 1/8 scale 1/4 scale and thinking to myself... Theres your problem you in the wrong vertical

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Smiley WinkAnd FILEDIA= 1, for the future

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
Sinc
in reply to: Murph_Map

@Anonymous wrote:
I won't ague on that, just that I see a lot of users staying away from it and creating extra label styles, maybe a few too many at times. The other thing I see new users trying to do is use an annotated text style in a label style. Now just throw some FDO labels in there and I'll buy stock in Bayer

You can use Annotative Text Styles in C3D Label Styles, but the fact that they are Annotative has no effect.  Inside a C3D Label, the "Annotative" part is ignored, and the text is sized according to C3D Label rules.

One of the big reasons we prefer using MText to General Note Labels is that Text Overrides in General Note Labels get lost whenever you change the Style or copy the Label to another drawing.  C3D Labels also often require us to use the old trick of a layer for every scale, whereas we can often avoid that with Annotative elements.  And MLeaders can have multiple leaders, whereas C3D Labels cannot.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report