Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Very New User and Non Linear Projects

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
LongSticks
259 Views, 3 Replies

A Very New User and Non Linear Projects

Hi everybody.

Im a long  time AC User in both 2d and 3d, but new to Civil 3d.

I'm a freelance civil engineer who now works as a tender/contract Planner for regional and surfacing civil engineering companies. Im exploring BiM for this Civil Engineering market place.

I have succesfully created my first 4d Navisworks model using a combination of Sketch up and AC 2013 to form the 3d model, but it is really only pictorial and needs to be positionally correct to move from Tender to Contract, if we were successful. But everybody is impressed as a tender validation tool.

One of the problems I have in this market place is that it is rare to get 3d information at tender from the Client or Clients designer, so everything pretty much has to be digitised.

I have tried Civil 3d and it is fine as a designers tool/large new carriageway project and even from using the tutorials i could remodel this data to produce a 4d file. By the way I do have many years using DTM standards like Leica, LSS, NRG and some time using MX Road.

My question is how to set about using Civil 3d on non linear projects such as new Town Squares and Dock Side works. Unfortunately my opertunities to play with carriageway new builds are few and far between.

As a for instance I have added 2 shots from a recent Dock Side Tender. 70m wide x 440m long. Construction comprises 5 different pavement constructions transversly and 5 zones longitudinally, with concrete edge thickening etc between pavement types running longitudinally and transversly.

Is Civil 3d the right tool for this? How do I model it with out using Corridors? Should I attempt to make a 60m wide corridor profile? Would Revit be a better solution to create a model.

Any advice gratefully received.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
neilyj666
in reply to: LongSticks

Welcome to the forum - are you effectively trying to create the formation surface i.e. the base of construction?

LSS is a far better tool for modelling this sort of thing although it is possible in Civil with a bit of work and not using corridors. I'm not familiar with Revit so can't comment.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 4
LongSticks

Thanks for that

It would be work of a moment in LSS.....but I want the 3d model that C3D would produce for use in Navisworks as well as the material quantities for use with in the programme!

C3D has the opportunity to give me more, but at what pain? Thats what I'm trying to get my head round

Just gonna have to play and see I suppose.

Thanks

Ade

Message 4 of 4
neilyj666

Go to Autodesk University and look for the folowing class http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=10693

If you haven't done much in Civil 3D it may be a bit overwhelming but try and stick with it as it works very well - nowhere near as quick as it could be done in LSS unfortunately

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report