Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 way intersection targeting

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Vasily_BC
2924 Views, 7 Replies

4 way intersection targeting

Hi,

I've started doing my first intersections but I'm stuck with one mistake.

I did all daylights and curb returns for intersection.

I have a feeling that it's incorrect targeting here, isn't?

I'll really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sboon
in reply to: Vasily_BC

The road and intersection looks fine, but I can see several spots where you have daylights that intersect with each other - somtimes referred to as a bowtie.  It would be easier to examine the problem and suggest solutions if you can post the drawing.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 8
Vasily_BC
in reply to: sboon

Sure. Thanks for reply.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5LTHGXLBfysck8wNG9MNC1tTEU/edit?usp=sharing

I've uploaded file with surface.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
sboon

Ha - your project happens to be in a neighbourhood that I used to know fairly well. Smiley Surprised

In the SW quadrant there was a problem with the fill slopes.  The daylight subassembly slope transitions suddenly, so the daylight line is very jagged and crosses over itself.  I used the corridor view/edit tools to change the subassembly parameters of the blue sections so that the transition was smoother and the crossings were eliminated.

Clipboard01.png

For the NE quadrant I used a different technique.  I deleted the Daylight links in the editor, so that the grey TIN lines would connect from the ditch bottom in the curb return to the remaining links at the BC & EC.

Clipboard02.png

For the SE quadrant I used a third technique.  I extracted the dyalight featurelines from your corridor first.  Then I copied the assemblies for these regions, and edited the copies to turn off the relevant daylight links.  I then replaced your assemblies with mine and rebuilt the corridor.  Finally I added the extracted featureline to the surface and added a polyline as an outer boundary to clean it up.

Clipboard03.png

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 8
Vasily_BC

Thanks Steve for answers. I'll try that. Did you you mean Point Roberts by a neighbourhood?

Message 6 of 8
fcernst

I used the corridor view/edit tools to change ......I deleted the Daylight links in the editor..... I copied the assemblies for these regions, and edited the copies......Finally I added the extracted featureline to the surface and added a polyline

This is way too many manual, tedious and time consuming edits for a designer to address the curb return daylighting and ditches for intersections. These methods do not offer the horizontal and vertical design control we need.

We also need more ditch invert horizontal and vertical control for drainage design, then just letting the links fall where the may from the BOC.

I use 2 to 3 conditional daylight scenarios for the curb returns. I let the typical section run first as he did here and look at it. Then typically only one feature line is needed if cleanup is needed. It will be the the selecting on/off switch for the daylight assemblies and the horizontal and vertical control if needed.

This is a more visual design process. The Targets also process much faster than trying to use subassembly overrides on large corridor models.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 8
sboon

Hi Vasily

Some of my relatives lived in Boundary Bay, just east of your site for a few years.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 8
sboon
in reply to: fcernst

Fred,

There are many ways to approach a problem like this one.  Yes - I could have entirely dismantled the corridor and reconstructed it using different subassemblies to suit my preferred methods for intersection work.  I chose instead to offer various solutions for the issues at hand.  Generally I prefer to operate this way within the forums, helping people to find their own way to an answer that works for them, rather than insisting that everyone should do things the way I think is best.   If you have an alternate solution to offer for any of my postings then please go ahead and speak your mind, but IMHO denigrating the help provided by others is neither contstructive nor professional.

Steve
Civil 3D 2012, 2013 & 2014
Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q890
2 x i7 - Q740 quad core CPU's
8GB of RAM
60GB SSD + 500GB HDD
NVidia GeForce GTS 360M - driver 8.17.13.0697
Win 7 Home Premium

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report