Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dpoly arc

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jamesbarnett
1352 Views, 5 Replies

3dpoly arc

Guys I am trying to draw up a topo, but I don't know how to draw a 3d arc for my curbs. Only the gutter line was shot so I need to be able to offset the arc horizontally and vertically. It seems the consensus is to use the feature line, but I can't get it to even look close with any of the compound cuves. 

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rkmcswain
in reply to: jamesbarnett

You're on the right track using a feature line. What is it about one that you can't get to work?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 6
jamesbarnett
in reply to: rkmcswain

When I use a Feature to create complex curves it doesn't work out very good unless I only use 3 points for each arc. If I go over the same points with a spline it looks like it should.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 4 of 6
jamesbarnett
in reply to: rkmcswain

I also forgot to mention the arc doesn't use the second pnt to calc the elevation on either.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 5 of 6
troma

Not sure if you may have to go back and add an elevation point at the second point to get the z added to the feature line.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 6
Neilw_05

It's not uncommon to find as-built curbs that are not true arcs. When it comes to modeling them your best option is to approximate them with compound curves as you have been doing. Unless there is a need to be very precise you can likely get by without using more than a couple of arcs. Featurelines work better than polylines since they don't need to be segmented along curves as do 3D polylines.

C3D modeling tools do not support splines (except as contours) so avoid using them.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report