Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d questions.....

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
hkaplan1227
315 Views, 6 Replies

3d questions.....

We are junping from LDD2008 to Civil3D 2013. I know its a big jump and I'm starting to learn its creating more problems then I expected. The LDD and Civil3d are 2 different programs. We went for formal training. But, the training is basic and didn't touch upon alot of things that we are coming on on a daily basis.

We are working on a large road project and we have been asked if the project will be done in 2d or 3d. I do not attend the meeting, only the project manager does.

This project has been in the works for a number of years now and it was originally shot by the survey and LDD 2008 was used. The question about the 2d or 3d survey came up. We are creating an existing surface. The linework itself is 2d though. 

When you recieve your exising topo, is a standard that the linework comes in 3d also? If I remember correct, when the survey dept processes the existing data, the linework can be brought in in 3d also?

Another question asked was. Are we generating a subterranean model? Has this also become a standard? Each utility will be designed by a different consultant. In a way I can understand the need. As far as the exising utilites goes. That would all need to be done manually since that can not be surveyed. 

Somone mentioned using Revit. I thought that was used for the design in buildings.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Howard Kaplan, Civil3D 2014
Dell Optiplex 9010
Intel I-7 3770 CPU @ 3.4 Ghz
16 gb RAM, 64 bit

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: hkaplan1227

When we made the switch from Eagle Point to Civil 3D we used Proximity Breaklines to utilize all those zero elevation polylines in our old surveys.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 7
AllenJessup

We bring in both 2D and 3D. 2D for general drafting and 3D for Surface Breaklines. As Jay_B mentioned. Proximity Breaklines may be a good way for you to get 3D. All contours are 3D. What is displayed in 3D or 2D depends on the Styles.

I've brought forward work done in Softdesk (pre-LDD). So it's somthing that can be done.

The only underground utility I've modeled in Civil 3D is drainage. Are you thinking of modeling the existing utilities, the proposed or both? What is going to be the source of the information for the models?

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7

A sub model is a whole other scope of work... Although it does make sense in road works for crossing agreements, etc. Depends on the level of detail one would build it. One would need to know amount of cover,etc. In the BIM world, it would be useful to have a 3D sub model.

I would expect to get the data in 3D from the surveyors. Someone is being lazy. How can one do topo in 2D?

Revit is for buildings/architectural. As far as Civil and revit interact would be the building footprints only.

Make sure expectations are well laid out and see if you can't get into the meeting too... Sounds like you have a need to be a little more involved.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 5 of 7
hkaplan1227
in reply to: AllenJessup

We were asked about modeling the utilities and someone mentioned Revit. In the Civil field is using Revit a typical practice. If we were to model the exising, I guess it would have to get done manually based on information picked up in the field. inverts of pipes at the drainge structures, depths to the nuts on water valves, and other record information. It sounds like a lot of work. Then when the proposed get designed, conflicts would appear.

As far as the linework being 2d and or 3d. I will discuss that with the survey dept.

Thank You for the input

Howard Kaplan, Civil3D 2014
Dell Optiplex 9010
Intel I-7 3770 CPU @ 3.4 Ghz
16 gb RAM, 64 bit

Message 6 of 7
owenmull

My responses to your array of questions are below, in color. I will do my best to practically answer them and not bring up a slew of answers concerning other software you likely aren't using.

@hkaplan1227 wrote:

We are junping from LDD2008 to Civil3D 2013. I know its a big jump and I'm starting to learn its creating more problems then I expected. The LDD and Civil3d are 2 different programs. We went for formal training. But, the training is basic and didn't touch upon alot of things that we are coming on on a daily basis.

We are working on a large road project and we have been asked if the project will be done in 2d or 3d. I do not attend the meeting, only the project manager does.

By 2D vs 3D, are they referring to Civil 3D, or do they actually want true 3D drawings of the entire roadway? Complete 3D, isometric drawings/planset seems like overkill for a road project..............

This project has been in the works for a number of years now and it was originally shot by the survey and LDD 2008 was used. The question about the 2d or 3d survey came up. We are creating an existing surface. The linework itself is 2d though. 

When you recieve your exising topo, is a standard that the linework comes in 3d also? If I remember correct, when the survey dept processes the existing data, the linework can be brought in in 3d also?

This varies company to company. I would say that any company doing a lot of civil, municipal survey/design work does use the survey database, which can be set up to automatically import your points and set them to the correct style, etc. The same goes for linework, which is brought in as Figure Lines (3D Polys). As long as the survey data is coded to match your FPD (Figure Prefix Database) and matches your Description Keyset, you should be good to go, with minimal editing. All linework via this method is 3 dimensional, and the lines themselves can be added to a surface directly as breaklines.

A Description Keyset is simply a list which tells C3D what layers, styles, overrides, markers, labels, etc. to apply to each survey point dependent upon code.

A FPD is a list which tells C3D what layers, styles, overrides, linetypes, etc. to apply to each Figure Line, again dependent upon code.

As suggested earlier, and expanding upon it, 'Proximity' breaklines are handy IF you do not have said breakline already defined and drawn by your survey database import. Sometimes, depending on the type of line you are drawing, certain linetypes, esp custom ones, do not always display correctly when in a 3D Poly mode. A way around this is to draw a 2D Poly from node to node on the survey data, following whatever breakline you desire, and then add this breakline to surface and set type to Proximity. C3D then follows the 2D Poly, and adds as a breakline the C3D points closest to it to said surface, rather than the polyline itself (as in the survey database). To do this:

Prospector-->Surfaces-->Desired Surface-->Definition-->Breaklines-->Rt Click-->Add

Another question asked was. Are we generating a subterranean model? Has this also become a standard? Each utility will be designed by a different consultant. In a way I can understand the need. As far as the exising utilites goes. That would all need to be done manually since that can not be surveyed. 

Somone mentioned using Revit. I thought that was used for the design in buildings.

Revit can be used for a variety of things, but for what I gather you're doing, not a terribly cost effective investment. By subterranean model, do you mean a 3D model, or are you just looking for plan/profile sheet production? Existing utilities absolutely can be surveyed, at least topographically from the surface, Im not sure what other need past that you would have for them if it is just a road project.

For utilities, on a road job (assuming this is a standard road reconstruct, or something similar) one can simply locate them in the field, survey them topographically, and if needed/desired, show them on a profile view.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

HTH

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

Generally, as a surveyor, when I send data out to anyone else I will send it 2d, with just the levels being shown as text where the points are.  A special request could be made to have the data in 3d, but this probably wouldn't be the best idea. If this is a proper existing survey which has been completed then they should have made a surface file for it and you would be best requesting a copy of their triangles, which you could then use to build youself a surface and run with that.

What is the road for? Is it a road within a subdivision, some sort of highway?

I do a lot of survey setout for a company which builds subdivisions from start to finish. When doing the services they run everything from the boundary line, which we generally get levels down either through boundary corners or from cross-sections of the road. We do not generally give out separate information for the underground services. I would, if requested, build a subgrade file for the road boxing though, for which all the details would be on the plans for this depth.

Mind you, I am Australian, and things might be different if you are elsewhere.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report