Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Polyline to Alignment to make an RXL

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Richard_Greene
2614 Views, 11 Replies

3D Polyline to Alignment to make an RXL

Hey i was wondering how i turn a 3D Polyline into an Alignment so i can apply an assembly to it and create a RXL?

Thanks Richard

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
neilyj666
in reply to: Richard_Greene

not familiar with an RXL

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 12
jmayo-EE

Go to the modify tab of the ribbon. Go to the Desgin panel and click the chevron arrow next to the title 'Design'. The panel drops to reveal the 3D Polyline to 2d Polyline command. Convert the 3d poly and you can go to the Home tab, expand the alignment commands and choose Alignment from Object.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
Jeff_M

SincpacC3D has the CreateAlignProf command to do this in one step.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 12
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Jeff_M

Show off. 🙂

Richard, just kidding with Jeff above. Sincpac is a great product with a bunch of time saving addon function for C3D.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
neilyj666

RXL?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 12

Awesome thanks guys

RXL - Trimble Alignment

Message 8 of 12

Wait. Do I still have to make a Profile to go along with this or is it made automatically?

Message 9 of 12

Wait. Do I still have to make a Profile to go along with this or is it made automatically?

Message 10 of 12
sboon

If you're using the Sincpac tool then you would get the profile automatically.  Otherwise not - you'll have to create that separately.

Start by making a copy of the 3d polyline, and then convert that copy to a 2d polyline.  Use the Create Alignment from Object command to convert the 2d polyline.  Next you need to create a blank profile view so that you have a place to build the profile you need.  Make sure that you set the elevation range to accommodate the 3d polyline.  Use the project object to profile view command.  The final step is to create a new layout profile, tracing along the projected polyline.

I'm assuming that you already have the Trimble Link ribbon installed, and know how to export the new alignment / profile to rxl format.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 12
jmayo-EE

Neil is smack on and has a good workflow but I would typically take the original 3d poly and make a surface with it and a stepped offset (feature line editing tools work on 3d polys) so I can work with a surface profile vs an object projection. If a surface boundary is needed due to segment deflection I would convert the 3dpolys to FLine and close it with two segments. This closed breakline can double as a boundary in the srf definition.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Please also note the flaw in the workflow if you convert the 3dpoly to soon....You will need those elevations for a projection or srf.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report