Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 & 64 bit interoperability on a network

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
troma
494 Views, 8 Replies

32 & 64 bit interoperability on a network

So, I just talked to my IT guy, and it looks like I could be getting a 64-bit machine sometime this year! Smiley Happy

A couple of others will be updated too, but probably not on the same day.  And others will be waiting for another couple of years still.  Therefore, a couple of questions arise.

Am I going to see any problems of non-compatibility between 32 and 64 bit machines on the same network?  We don't use vault, but we have x-reffs, d-reffs, sheet sets and multiple people working on different drawings in the same project at the same time, all referencing each other in various ways.  The same drawing will be passed back and forth and worked on by different people.  Are we going to have problems (I mean in addition to our normal problems Smiley Wink )?

Currently running 2008 (rarely), 2011 (normally), and 2013 (increasingly).

Thanks!

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mathewkol
in reply to: troma

Generally with some peripherals like printers there could be driver issues. And older 3rd party apps (not necessarulyolder). The drawings should be fine. If you're on a Windows network all should be well.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 9
sboon

When we started mixing XP 32 bit systems with newer computers running 64 bit Vista and later Win 7 we found that the newer OS could easily create and use drawings that exceeded the memory capacity of XP.  Our designers using the newer systems could create drawings that the drafters had trouble working with.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 9
michael.robertson

The bit version of the OS is not going to change the format or the functionallity of the Autodesk files themselves. But as another person pointed out, large files will be more stable on 64bit systems.

Also, you may need 2 versions of some addon applications, you can't run 32bit ObjectARX on 64bit machines and vica-versa.

FYI, C3D 2014 is ONLY 64bit if you get to that point.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 5 of 9
troma
in reply to: michael.robertson

Thanks all.
Matt—Good to know. I'll let IT guy worry about drivers, so long as the data itself is going to be fine. I wouldn't want to push for something that's going to cause that kind of problem.

Steve—Maybe that's a good thing. If I have a drawing that works fine on my machine but not others it'll start everyone clamouring for 64 bit and it'll happen that much faster! But good to be aware of. I'll go easy on them for starters. 😉

Mike—I don't know what ObjectARX is. Is it something that I use without knowing it? As for 2014, I'm not worried yet. The way we work we'll probably wait and go for 2015 or 2016. I think by then we should all be switched over. Or will it all be going to 128-bit by then?

Mark Green

Message 6 of 9
michael.robertson

ObjectARX are programs that are loaded via the Appload command when you select a "arx" file. These types of programs are bit version specific. Note: these files may be loaded automatically when C3D starts.

This is normally 3rd party software loaded on top of AutoCAD and/or Civil3D.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 7 of 9
troma
in reply to: michael.robertson

OK, thanks.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 9
mathewkol

Did someone mention the survey and figure prefix DB's? They are sensetive to the 32 and 64 bit thing... I think. Or is it just different versions of C3D? This would be a show stopper. Would someone confirm this?
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 9
troma

Well, it finally happened!  And less than 12 months from my initial post too!

I upgraded from this:

Win 7 Pro, 32 bit; Intel Core i5 @ 2.80GHz; 4GB RAM

to this:

Win 7 Pro, 64 bit; Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz; 8GB RAM

Not a supercomputer, but definitely a step up.  Things don't feel twice as fast as previously, but it is faster.  And I haven't crashed it yet in the few weeks I've had it.

Thanks to those who replied when I was wondering about this.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report