Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3-Way Intersections

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Nikki101
2762 Views, 8 Replies

3-Way Intersections

Is there a trick to making a 3-way intersection in Civil 3D using the intersection commmands?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
owenmull
in reply to: Nikki101

Short answer is no, there's not. The intersection tool is a very, very basic tool for laying out a very simple intersection and making a corridor out of it. If you have any sort of "non-vanilla" situation, ie valley pans, differing curb return radii, sidewalk neckdowns, sidewalk bulbouts, etc etc, the intersection tool can't effectively handle these.

I don't believe there is a really good way to "trick" C3D into creating a three-way intersection. Only thing I could think of would be to make two of the intersecting roads one alignment, and create your custom intersections assemblies and subassemblies, but Im afraid that would be just as much effort as doing it the old fashioned way.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

Do you mean like a Y intersection?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 9
Nikki101
in reply to: doni49

Thanks for the Reply.  It is a "T", where Road B ties into Road A at 90 degrees.  It is a basic intersection where both roads are the same type, width, low speed - so widened approaches are not necessary.  There is really nothing funky about it other than Road B terminates at the centerline of Road A.  Please see tha attached pic.  Thanks again.

Message 5 of 9
Nikki101
in reply to: owenmull

Can you look at my response to doni49's reply and confirm that your answer is still suitable for my application?

Thanks. 

Message 6 of 9
doni49

There are many examples/tutorials explaining how to make a simple T intersection. Do a Google search for "Civil 3D corridor T intersection tutorial". That should get you pretty close.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 9
owenmull

Ok. In your situation, yes, this is absolutely possible. I was under the impression from your OP that it was a complex interchange, like a Y intersection or something similar. 

Doni is right. Search the C3D tutorials in help files, and they can walk you through how to create an intersection as you desire.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

Thanks again. 

My issue - discovered through a Youtube tutorial - was that I had my secondary road alignment starting at the far side of the primary road.  Apparently, for a T-intersection, the sencondary road alignment must start @ the centerline of the primary road.  By doing this, the intersection command removes the need to set parameters for the 2 "non-existant" quadrant of the intersection...  In hindsight, if the secondary alignment passes through the centerline of the primary road (as I originally had it), the intersection command forces you to set parameters for all 4 quadrants - and of course <none> is not an option....

Message 9 of 9
wiss9636

I'm having issues creating a 3-way intersection (Y intersection). Disclaimer, I'm fairly new to C3D, only been doing this for a semester. Not sure if it'sintersection.png the way I created my alignments or if I need to adjust the settings differently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report