Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D to 3D line conversion

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
kevinsbane
1302 Views, 1 Reply

2D to 3D line conversion

I am finding that whenever I convert a polyline that contains arcs to a 3D polyline, it approximates the arc using short chords. Can I control how fine these chord approximations will be?

Secondly, I find that the 2D - > 3D conversion creates zero length segments at every geometry point where there was an arc previously. Why does this happen, and is there a way I can stop it from happening every time? Right now, I am converting 2D -> 3D, exploding, purging to clear our zero-length objects, recombining into a 2D polyline, and then reconverting to a 3D polyline.

I do not want to use feature lines, as eventually we need to export the lines out to survey controllers as 3D polylines. In any case, exploding a featureline results in the same behaviour of zero length line segments. Or do I just have to live with doing this roundabout method of converting polylines to 3D polylines?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
wfberry
in reply to: kevinsbane

3D polys cannot have curves.

Here is what may work somewhat easier.

I assume you can use a Feature Line (I know!).  Get the FL like you want it.  Use the "Insert P.I."  tool with the INCREMENT switch to set P.I.s along your feature line at your designated spacing.  Now explode it and you will have short lines with no zero lengths.  I think.

Do not use the Insert Elevation nodes on the FLs, it won't work.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report