Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 and RCS files

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
AllenJessup
2436 Views, 9 Replies

2015 and RCS files

Can anyone verify that 2015 doesn’t support adding points to a surface from an RCS file? We don't have 2015 installed yet but I'm trying to develop a work flow to use scan data. I had thought that using Recap to create RSC files was a good idea. But if we're losing that ability in 2015 then I'll have to figure something else out.

See post 13 in the above link.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadguru42
in reply to: AllenJessup

@AllenJessup wrote:

Can anyone verify that 2015 doesn’t support adding points to a surface from an RCS file? We don't have 2015 installed yet but I'm trying to develop a work flow to use scan data. I had thought that using Recap to create RSC files was a good idea. But if we're losing that ability in 2015 then I'll have to figure something else out.

See post 13 in the above link.

Allen

Have you tried following the steps from http://civilintentions.blogspot.com/2013/08/recap-to-civil-3d.html ? I don't have a point cloud to test it out myself. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 3 of 10
AllenJessup
in reply to: Cadguru42

Yes. That's what I've been doing in 2014. But if 2015 doesn't allow you to add points to a Surface from an RCS file. That procedure becomes useless.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
Jeff_M

Allen, I don't have any data sets to test with, but the rcs file format is still listed as a supported file type. So I don't see why the same process used in 2014 would not be the same in 2015.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 10
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jeff_M

After doing some tests this afternoon, it looks like C3D2015 reads the rcs files just fine, crreates the Point Cloud in C3D, but the C3D commands do not recognize it as a valid Point Cloud. The object is listed as AcdbPointCloudEx in 2015, yet in 2014 it is AcdbPointCloud. So base Autocad changed and the C3D commands have not been updated to recognize the new object.

EESignature
Message 6 of 10
AllenJessup

Jeff,

Are you reporting this?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Jeff_M

Actually, Autodesk is aware of this Allen. From the What's New in help:

• Support for legacy point cloud file formats (.ISD files) is available by using the AutoCAD Civil 3D point cloud commands.
    Note: The AutoCAD Civil 3D point cloud commands will work only with the legacy point cloud file formats.
EESignature
Message 8 of 10
LyleHardin

I've found I've had to export to .PTS files from ReCap so I can import the point cloud into Civil 3D as a Civil 3D point cloud. 

Kinda screwy.  The .RCP and .RCS formats need to be added to Civil 3D's "Create Point Cloud" dialog box if you ask me...

Or...

A person should just be able to "Add Civil 3D Functionality" to a regular point cloud. 

So,

Is this a bug or was it intentional?

Message 9 of 10
mathewkol

It's intentional. The RCP engine was significantly changed and there was no time to code this new functionality.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 10 of 10
Cadguru42
in reply to: mathewkol

@mathewkol wrote:
It's intentional. The RCP engine was significantly changed and there was no time to code this new functionality.

So in reality the yearly release cycle monster strikes again. And Autodesk wonders why so many people are against yearly releases. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report