Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Slow Dimensions

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jroot
3781 Views, 4 Replies

2014 Slow Dimensions

In 2014 when we create dimensions (aligned usually) or even move or edit them it seems to hang and take about 30 seconds to perform the command.  In a blank new drawing this seems to go quicker.  In one drawing that had a large surface I LandXMLout the surface and brought it back in and the dimensioning became faster.

Has anyone else had this problem or can think of why this would be?

VBA is not loaded, we're all running 64bit on W7 with 8GB+ RAM.  Video cards are ATI Firepro 4900.  We did not have this problem on the same hardware with C3D 2011.  I have tried tweaking hardware acceleration with no improvement.

Thank you for your help,

-Joe

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
john.mckenzie
in reply to: jroot

Since xml'ing the surface improved perfomance of dimensioning, I suspect you may have an issue with that surface. Is this problem consistent in all drawings with all surfaces or is it isolated to this one surface causing performance issues?

Message 3 of 5
jroot
in reply to: john.mckenzie

It seems to be this way in drawings that *have* surfaces, but not every one.  In drawings without surfaces it seems to be fine.  Maybe this is a coincidence that I've found from trying to figure out the problem.

Message 4 of 5
john.mckenzie

Then I suspect that it has much more to do with the surfaces than anything.

You might want to simplify the surface style as much as possible in case it is an issue with stressing the video card.

levelofdetailon typed at the command prompt can help with video card stress, but can cause other issues so use that with caution.

Would it help to have the surfaces in another file and data reference them into the file that you are annotating in?

OR xref the surface in from a file that it is properly represented in. ie: right style/scale/rotation/etc.

I would explore the workflow and approach through some of these ideas and see if you can hone in on a better way to approach the problem.

Big surfaces are resource hogs and depending upon how you are using them they can be real pigs.

just throwing out guesses.

Message 5 of 5
jroot

We finally figured this out.  For some reason it was hanging due to the block "arrow1" we were using as the arrowhead on out dimensions.  This block has been used for probably 10 years in our drawings.

-It worked just fine in C3D 2011

-It’s only slow when there is a surface

-Leaders also use “arrow1” but are not slow at all

I replaced this block with the same exact arrowhead but as an annotative block and there is no more hanging.

*shrug*

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report