Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Pipe network: pipe styles change with Sync

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
rkmcswain
2467 Views, 22 Replies

2014 Pipe network: pipe styles change with Sync

Using 2014 SP1, we have “Parent” drawing and “Child” drawing, both were started from the same template. Parent contains a pipe network, with a data shortcut created for it.

We open “Child” drawing and d-ref in this pipe network, taking care to select the proper Parts List – and everything looks great.  But, the first time we sync the pipe network, the style assigned to the pipes changes (to something unwanted).

We have:

• Deleted the pipe network from “Child” and re-referenced it in.
  • Ensured that both drawings are associated to the same project
  • Went back to “Parent” and deleted the d-ref from the list and created it again.

....and nothing works.

Then I open “Child” in 2013 SP2, delete the pipe network, create the d-ref to it again then sync. The styles DO NOT change, and everything is fine.

So what is the difference between 2014 SP1 and 2013 SP2?

Why are the styles changing in 2014 only?

TIA

(FWIW, I have researched a few threads here and at augi regarding the possibility that the two drawings do not share the same parts list, etc. - and have taken care to make sure that is not the cause in this case)

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
jmayo-EE
in reply to: rkmcswain

Not that I can answer the 'why' and not that this will help you solve the issue but when you create the DRef are your pipes and structures displaying the same styles they were created in (parent style)? Are the styles being switched to the style that they were created in, the template default, pipe network default or a random style perhaps the first name in the style list?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 23
rkmcswain
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@jfmayo wrote:

..... when you create the DRef are your pipes and structures displaying the same styles they were created in (parent style)? Are the styles being switched to the style that they were created in, the template default, pipe network default or a random style perhaps the first name in the style list?

(1) Yes, when the dref is created, the pipe (and structures) are exactly like they are in "Parent" drawing. And FWIW, this is how it has always worked for us, 98% of the time. The other 2% of the time can be attributed to when a user starts with the wrong (or no) template.

(2) I think it may be using the default style located here (Settings>Pipe Network>Commands>Create Network>Default Styles>Pipe Default Style) - but I'm not 100% on that. I was thinking it took its "Default" from (Settings>Pipe Network>NetworkName>Edit>Pipes Tab>Style column) and that setting is correct.

I did not mention this in the original post to keep the confusion to a minimum, but I have a second pipe network in both "Parent" and "Child" (which uses a different parts list), and it works fine. No problems syncing at all with this one in 2014.

Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 23
ToddRogers-WPM

What about the default styles in the Command Settings?  Are they set to what you want them to be?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 23
n2itive

This sounds like a familiar topic so I did a quick search.

Maybe this thread can help: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Pipe-and-structure-styles-resetting-when-data...

Infrastructure Design Suite 2014
Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Message 6 of 23
rkmcswain
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

@trogers wrote:

What about the default styles in the Command Settings?  Are they set to what you want them to be?

Todd, it doesn't matter. We are using the same templates/drawings/setting in both 2013 and 2014.

The problem only happens in 2014.

See the thread in post 5 - that pretty much sums it up, the workaround being "do not sync".

My workaround is = quit using 2014 until this is fixed.

Message 7 of 23
rkmcswain
in reply to: n2itive

@n2itive wrote:

This sounds like a familiar topic so I did a quick search.

Maybe this thread can help: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Pipe-and-structure-styles-resetting-when-data...

Thanks. This tells me the workaround is to not sync, so I will go with my own workaround of just not using 2014.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 23
ToddRogers-WPM

I heard that is supposed to be fixed in 2015 Randy.Smiley Sad

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 9 of 23
jmayo-EE

Looks like it's an issue...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 23
rkmcswain

@trogers wrote:

I heard that is supposed to be fixed in 2015 Randy.Smiley Sad

It was fixed in 2013 😞

Message 11 of 23
ToddRogers-WPM

I always liked going backwards.  It's so much more productive.  BTW, if you like your insurance plan, you can keep it. Hmmmm.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 12 of 23
rkmcswain

@jfmayo wrote:

Looks like it's an issue...

Yes, and I'm kind of surprised that this issue is not more well known than it is.

I would think this would be a major show stopper for a lot of customers.

Evendently not....

Message 13 of 23
jmayo-EE

I used 2014 at my old job for about 3 or 4 months and never saw this.

I wonder if the deskers know abvout it as well. Did anyone open a support incident? 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 23
klugb

I just reported this today to Autodesk (Case 09111584 - 2014 Pipe network data shortcut sync issue)

For us, it's tied to the part family with multiple styles and "sync" only uses the first one on the list. But this is ONLY the part family's that have multiple different styles in that group which explains why it looks so random.

See attachment.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 15 of 23
rkmcswain
in reply to: klugb

@Anonymous wrote:

I just reported this today to Autodesk (Case 09111584 - 2014 Pipe network data shortcut sync issue)

Thanks for the details and that great image.

Message 16 of 23
klugb

FYI,

From Autodesk support:

"Thanks for the drawings, and the update. Unfortunately, this is a know issue and is in fact already in the hands of the Development Team." 

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 17 of 23
rkmcswain
in reply to: klugb

@Anonymous wrote:

FYI,

From Autodesk support:

"Thanks for the drawings, and the update. Unfortunately, this is a know issue and is in fact already in the hands of the Development Team." 

....and in another thread I saw this morning, it was speculated that we may not see SP2 until after C3D 2015 is out.

Message 18 of 23
rick.hberg

uh-oh...  "in the hands of the development team"

That's where the scalelist reset has been since 2012, which still does not work properly in 2014. I will not be holding my breath for anything beyond a "work-around" unfortunately.

Civil 3D 2014
Windows 7 x64
Message 19 of 23
idmadcadder

We're also struggling with this issue...and it's been a show stopper.  We just tried it in 2015 and had the same results.  We do a lot of pipes, and doing work arounds isn't very productive for us...we need to have it working.  We are currently using 2011 which is very stable...and with a multitude of licenses...are still not implementing 2014 or 2015 because of this issue.  It's ridiculous, we need a hotfix to get this working asap.

Civil 3D 2016 SP1
Windows 10 x64
Core i7 3.40 GHz 8gb RAM
Message 20 of 23
tgicam
in reply to: idmadcadder

It's been a show stopper for us as well.  We submitted a support request Novevember 22, 2013 and received a reply within 2 hours that it was a known issue.

"Please be aware that when we escalate an issue to our development team, they have to
perform their own research as to what might be causing the issue as well as how
to fix it. Their schedule is regulated by service pack and new release time
frames, and priority for fixing issues are determined by and how the fix
impacts other functionality business cases. A realistic expectation for this
particular issue might be fixed with a future service pack, however it might
take another release cycle to be fixed. Here in Product Support, we are not
informed of the Development’s schedule for fixing issues such as this one
"

I have been watching almost daily for an acceptable workaround, hotfix, service pack, new release... anything that fixes this.

Craig

-------

Civil 3D 2011 Version 3

Civil 3D 2014 SP2 <-- hopefully very soon!

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

Intel Xeon 3.6GHz

NVIDIA Quadro 2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report