Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Bug with Profile View Elevation Label

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Cadguru42
3478 Views, 15 Replies

2014 Bug with Profile View Elevation Label

I think I've found a bug with 2014 with profile view styles. Under my profile view style, Vertical Axes>Major tick details>Tick label text is set to use a text style that I've created that uses simplex.shx for both left and right. The display for both the Left and Right Axis Annotation Major is set to a specific layer, color BYLAYER, and Lineweight ByLayer. The problem is, the lineweight of the font is not using the layer's lineweight. My layer is set to 0.80mm for the lineweight. As you can see in the attached screenshots, the lineweight is not being used. I tried also changing the Lineweight to specifically be 0.80mm in the Display tab of the Profile View Style, but it doesn't seem to accept that either. I also tried changing the lineweight of the bottom axis lable, which is also using simplex.shx, and it won't change.

I think the bug is that the profile view styles are ignoring the lineweight settings.  I checked this same issue in 2013 and it does not happen, so it's specific to 2014. Anyone else have problems with lineweights in the profile view settings?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
tcorey
in reply to: Cadguru42

It works correclty for me in 2014. Are you sure you have Display Lineweights button pressed "On" ?

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 16
Cadguru42
in reply to: tcorey

@tcorey wrote:

It works correclty for me in 2014. Are you sure you have Display Lineweights button pressed "On" ?

Tim

As you can see in one of the screenshots, display lineweights is turned on. You can tell because in the upper right corner I have a profile view label that is using the simplex.shx font with a lineweight set and it displays correctly as well as the grid itself. This only happens in the profile view itself. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 16
Cadguru42

I just tried changing the lineweight of the bottom axis and it will not change no matter what it's set to. Apparently, none of the lineweights in the profile view style are working correctly. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 16
chrisalley5184

I'm having the same issue as well, but only when plotting from paper space...plotting the same thing from model space works fine.  

Message 6 of 16
tcorey
in reply to: chrisalley5184

That's odd. I checked in paperspace, too. It works fine.

Does either of you want to post a drawing?

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 7 of 16
BrianHailey

Seems to work just fine for me as well. Post up your drawing and someone will look at it.

VIDEO

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 8 of 16
Cadguru42

Confirmed two bugs. It's not just the elevation label, this affected every component of a profile view where lineweights won't work.

I did a support request regarding this issue. Turns out there is a bug in the installation of C3D 2014 x64 from the Infrastructure Design Suite Premium installer. The only way to fix the lineweight issue is to delete the registry entry for C3D 2014 under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R19.1\ACAD-D000:409. Then remove all files under the Windows username related to C3D. This only affects Civil 3D installations that came from IDSP. It does not affect stand alone installations and licenses of C3D, which is what is so strange. 

While trying to figure this out, I also found another bug that can cause C3D to crash everytime if it was installed from any of the suites, but not the stand alone installer. Create a new drawing using the out-of-box acad.dwt template. Create a new alignment, doesn't matter how. Create a profile view using the default settings using that alignment and it'll crash on zoom extents. Both of these are confirmed and have been sent to development.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 9 of 16
Cadguru42

I spoke too soon. The bug came back even after deleting the user settings. Turns out that once Dynamic Input is turned off (it's on by default), that the lineweights for profile views immediately stop working. So now we have to choose whether to have working profile views or having Dynamic Input turned off. Once the toggle has been switched, the lineweights will not work again until the user profile is deleted again.

Why on Earth would the Dynamic Input, from a Civil 3D 2014 installed from Infrastructure Design Suite Premium, cause the profile view to loose all lineweight settings?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 16
troma

If we stick with the analogy of C3D to a car, this reminds me of my friend's car when you would turn the steering wheel and it made the horn sound. Although at least in that case we can understand that the two components are in close physical proximity. When it comes to the software components it's a little different. Who knows how one may affect another? Not me, anyway.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 11 of 16
Cadguru42

I have had a support request going for this for a while, but it seems like the installation of C3D 2014 from IDSP causes this issue. There is something about the installer that causes this to happen, but not on an install from the stand-alone installation for C3D. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 12 of 16
Cadguru42

I've now spent 3.5 hours today trying to narrow this down. Turns out if you do a Workspace>Save Current As..>(insert any name), close C3D, then reopen it, do another Workspace>Save Current As..>(same name as before) and replace it the profile view lineweights stop working. This did not affect any installs from the stand-alone C3D installer, only the IDSP installs. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 13 of 16
Cadguru42

Finally think we figured it out. When saving a workspace in an installation of C3D 2014 from IDSP, if the Navigation Toolbar (below the ViewCube) is turned off when the workspace is saved, it corrupts the workspace. This is a confirmed defect that has been sent to development. When I thought it was DynamicInput it was because I saved the workspace after turning it and the navigation toolbar off. 

There is apparently another known issue with the Navigation Toolbar that will show it on a printout. Support has linked this case to that one. There is definately something wrong with the Navigation Toolbar. 

A temporary workaround is to either leave the Navigation Toolbar on or when you open a drawing make sure you're in a workspace with the Navigation Toolbar turned on at first. You can change workspaces and keep working without the profile view lineweights messing up, but if you close a drawing and have a workspace with the toolbar on, the next drawing you open will not have the profile view lineweights work correctly.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 14 of 16
jsnock

had this bug for a long time, just realized it after my major & minor grids were the same lineweight and you couldn't tell which grid was the major.  turning the nav bar on fixed it, if you find it annoying just turn off all the buttons and it really doesn't get in the way...

Message 15 of 16
tcorey

Thanks for the follow-up!

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 16 of 16
Cadguru42

The sad part is Service Pack 1 didn't fix it and there's not been a hot fix for it. We're only a month away from 2015 and I doubt this will ever be fixed for 2014.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report