Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Style Management

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
JeffPaulsen
551 Views, 8 Replies

2012 Style Management

The Import and Purge styles functionality that was added to C3D 2012 is awesome. Thanks Adesk.

I noticed that it does not import all settings though. If you right-click on the drawing name on the settings tab the label settings are not imported and the only drawing settings are not imported are the ambient settings.

Is there a way to import the label settings, units and zone, object layers and abbreviations?

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
klugb
in reply to: JeffPaulsen

I also noticed that it didn't bring in my settings or my custom parts list within the pipe network area.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 3 of 9
JeffPaulsen

Just noticed I had a typo. The second paragraph should read:

I noticed that it does not import all settings though. If you right-click on the drawing name on the settings tab the label settings are not imported and the only drawing settings that are imported are the ambient settings.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 4 of 9
SethHall

Hi Jeff-

Unfortunately the settings you described do not come through as you have found: Import Styles and Settings

However in testing this I did find that some of the settings in the Units and Zone tab will be imported, such as Angular Units and Imperial to Metric Conversion.

Unfortunately I do not know of any current method to get the label settings, units and zone, object layers and abbreviations imported into a new drawing.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 5 of 9
JeffPaulsen
in reply to: SethHall

Thanks for the reply. I guess my only hope is a 3rd party app. I will wait a few days to accept a solution in case there is something that does what I want.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 6 of 9
chd4trichard

If I'm understanding your problem correctly, you should be able to set the drawing and ambient settings to your preferences (as well as create customized parts lists, style sets, etc...), save that drawing as a template, and use that template to create all your new drawings.  That seems to work for me, although you should remember to "clean out" your drawing prior to saving as a template:  remove all unwanted objects, including point groups, corridors, surfaces, xrefs, etc... so they don't show up in every new drawing you create.  I still haven't figured out how to set a default template for new file creation, but I suspect there's a way to do it.

Message 7 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: chd4trichard

@chd4trichard wrote:

I still haven't figured out how to set a default template for new file creation, but I suspect there's a way to do it.

Options->Files tab->Template Settings->Default template file name for QNEW

This will also be the template used when starting C3D when STARTUP = 0.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 9
JeffPaulsen
in reply to: chd4trichard

We have two templates a Civil 3D template and an AutoCAD template. Our preference, pre-dating C3D, has been to have nothing in the template drawing, no layers, no text styles, no dim styles, no blocks, etc. We only set drawing variables in the AutoCAD template.

Our Civil 3D template has all the Civil 3D styles and settings and associated layers, text styles and blocks. We start new drawings for Civil 3D with this template.

My question related to the new style import tool that was introduced in C3D 2012. Sometimes drawings get created with the wrong template or we get drawings from sources outside of our company. In that case it would be nice to import the styles and settings from our C3D template. The new tool will allow us to import a lot more than we used to be able to drag and drop and I'm thankful for that. There will just be a few settings that we need make manually.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 9 of 9
Sinc

@JeffPaulsen wrote:

Sometimes drawings get created with the wrong template or we get drawings from sources outside of our company. In that case it would be nice to import the styles and settings from our C3D template.

I typically find that to be a very risky process.  I don't like to EVER work in "drawings from others".  There are lots of hidden things that can bite you.  Not to mention, the "drawing from others" is typically filled with unfamiliar Styles.

I generally start a new drawing from our company template, then pull in the "data from others" as needed, using the best method applicable for whatever I'm doing (DREF, XREF, copy-and-paste between drawings, insert drawing "from others" into a new drawing created from our template, etc.).

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report