Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 superelevation problems

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
LS67
2056 Views, 12 Replies

2011 superelevation problems

Problem 1.

I copy the data of the SE tabular editor using right click-copy .

I get ALL the data in the editor .

All columns visible .

I paste them to Excel .

Everything copies OK .

I save it in CSV format .

Then i load it in the tabular editor .

Only the right lane and shoulder are entered OK !?

I tested with data both manually entered or wizard made of .

Both cases same results .

Problem 2.

I enter data manually .

The superelevation graph shows everything OK .

When i hover the mouse over the lane lines immediate values are calculated OK .

But when i hover over the shoulder lines immediate values are calculated wrong although the graph is correct !!!

The same problem happens when i use the 2011 API to get shoulder superelevations programmatically .

Using .SuperelevationCriticalStation.Getslope it gives the correct result for each kind of shoulder .

But when using .GetCrossSlopeAtStation for each shoulder i get the same wrong value when hovering over the graph !?

Also ShoulderExtendAll Autodesk subassembly gets the same mistaken values so it draws wrong corridors !

I attached a zip compressed file .

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
LS67
in reply to: LS67

Anybody tried copy-paste and back again ?

Anybody downloaded dwg file to watch the problem ?

Message 3 of 13
Karen_Dowling

Hi,

The column structure of the .CVS file needs to be set up in a particular manner in order for the data to be correctly imported.  Before I dig into the issue, please take a look at the help topic entitled, "Importing Superelevation Data" on the procedures tab - it shows the column structure needed.

If you have the file correctly formatted and are still having problems, let me know,  I have your file downloaded.

Karen Dowling

Autodesk AEC Test Development

Karen Dowling
Sr. Quality Analyst
Autodesk, Inc
Message 4 of 13
LS67
in reply to: Karen_Dowling

You are right about the format . Everything copies OK . I apologise .

The second problem still exists and i had a case of mistaken values in LaneInside while creating random data to debug my NET code . I will try to recreate this case .

Message 5 of 13
LS67

Here is an other example .

The superelevation view is almost correct .

Almost because i saw that the graph starts and ends with left and right lines totally vertical .

All other lines correctly reflect all the entered superlevation critical stations .

But when hovering over the first 20m and the last 5m of the left side -which is not zero- values are wrong .

Also if hovering over the zero right side on the graph all values are totally wrong .

This means that the corridor will be wrong too .

How is it possible for the graph to be correct and the interpolated values out of logic ?

If i am manually entering values in a totally wrong way then why the graph is OK ?

Message 6 of 13
Karen_Dowling

When the application is asked to calculate superelevation data,  there are two additional critical points that are included in the list of critical points that are stored, Alignment Start Station and Alignment End Station.  We do not show these critical points in the tabular editor but they are included in the grid view.  The slope values for these critical points are the default slope values set in the curve criteria for lane and shoulder slope..  You have  manual station at 0+00 that you assigned a slope value to, however there is already a crit station at 0+00 so that is what is causing you to see the vertical line at the begin and end of the SE view.

IF you go into the tabular editor and delete the manual stations you added at the begin and end station of the alignment you will see that the lane and shoulder lines in the view will still solve at the begin and end stations.  What you can do is edit the slope values in the SE view.

In 2010, once you calculate SE data, the begin and end align crit stations are always there, even if you remove all the critical stations in the tabular editor.  The only way in 2010 to absolutely get rid of the calculated begin and end crit stations is to reverse the direction of the alignment - this destroys all data associate with the alignment - as the warning dialog will tell you.  You can then reverse the direction again, select what remains of the superelevation view diagram, right click and select Open Tabular editor - then import or input your manual data.

Karen Dowling
Sr. Quality Analyst
Autodesk, Inc
Message 7 of 13
LS67

This is a workaround .

But i tried it and it worked .

I removed my first and last critical station and the vertical lines are gone .

All interpolations are well calculated .

Then i tried to set each segment type to the desired slope using the SE view as mentioned .

But ALL of them moved together !!!

I used the CTRL and i got them one by one .

I have not found yet a way for how to quickly set them to exact values but i guess i will find the way .

Anyway this is a nasty workaround . But it works .

I hope things will change in the future .

I tried the 2010 trick but it does not work in 2011 (i have never used 2010) .

Finally i used NET to get the SE critical stations (after deleting my manual start and end stations) .

But the start and end of the alignment did not exist in the collection although they are in the graph !!!

This means that i cannot set them using NET .

I also hope this changes in the future .

Till then i think i must go back to version 2009 .

Message 8 of 13
LS67

My personal workaround is ...

to set my first se station to alignments's starting station plus 1mm and

to set my last se station to alignments's ending station minus 1mm .

Everything works fine but i must not forget to set the proper corridor stations .

Just wondering . Am i the only one to use manual or NET se ?

(I could not find any other message about this problem)

For example i know that many european countries use the deutsch way to calculate se .

So values must be entered manually .

Message 9 of 13
Karen_Dowling

Hi,

If you turn DYNMODE to 3 you will then have the option to enter exact slope values on the selected slope adjusting grip in the se view.   I mistyped in my original message - all of this exploitation is with regard to 2011.

Karen Dolwing

Karen Dowling
Sr. Quality Analyst
Autodesk, Inc
Message 10 of 13
LS67

My original value for DYNMODE was ... -3 !?

I set it to 3 and ... yes this very nice . THANK YOU !      Smiley Happy

I tried reversing and back on many alignments . I saw the message . But the ghost values still exist .

Message 11 of 13
Karen_Dowling

Awesome!  Also I am curious to know more about why our current state to calculate SE data does not work for you and why you need to enter data manually. If you have a moment and some time to chat about this?

Karen Dowling

Karen Dowling
Sr. Quality Analyst
Autodesk, Inc
Message 12 of 13
LS67

In Europe we mostly use the German regulations .

Absolutely different philosophy .

We already have an old DOS program that calculates se this way .

So data must be entered manually or through a selfmade program .

We have developed ourselves some VBA programs that worked fine with 2009 .

Civil 3D alignment and profile data are extracted to text files .

DOS program reads them , do the calculations and output se to text files .

Finally all se data are loading from DOS output files to C3D .

All the come and go is done using VBA .

But 64bit VBA is unpredictable . ActiveX is not updated . New se object model is not supported .

So we have to upgrade all this code to NET .

Lots of problems solved .

Lots of code lines to go .

The past so far is enough promising for quite a lot of other problems to find .

But we lost already too much time .

So back to 2009 .

Message 13 of 13
AntoninV

If you do township development you have to do SE because of water so it must be done manually. Sometimes you have to apply manually SE on the main road at the junction area to allow acceptable connection for the side road. So it is very common in road design workflow and software MUST allow it in easy way without thousands of problems.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report