Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2010 to 2013

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
MtnMax700
382 Views, 10 Replies

2010 to 2013

I just got word that we are making the jump.  Only had 2010 a year.  What kind of problems ae we looking at?

Thxs.

David

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Sinc
in reply to: MtnMax700

Biggest may be that a lot of labels lose their connections when upgrading, and turn into a "broken" label that includes a GUID instead of the connection to the correct field.  There was also a change in C3D 2011 that caused some Parcel labels to appear at the wrong offset from the Parcel line, vs. in C3D 2010 and earlier.  And if you've been creating custom Reports or Subassemblies, you may have a lot of problems with those, as well.

Sinc
Message 3 of 11
MtnMax700

Will my templates go across?

Message 4 of 11
Sinc

For the most part, except for the fact that some of your Styles may "lose" their connections and turn into GUIDs, as mentioned in my last post.

Also, there have been some new features added, which involve new Styles.  So if you simply migrate your 2010 template to 2013, you may find that you have to manually create some Styles for some of the new features (or copy them into your template from one of the stock C3D templates).

Sinc
Message 5 of 11
mathewkol

The way section views are organized was significantly changed from 2010 to 2011.  Opening a 2010 file with XS views will probably result in them moving, especially if you've moved some of the views manually.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 11
MtnMax700

Sinc,

What's a GUID?

Thxs.

David

Message 7 of 11
Sinc

I think it means "Globally-Unique Identifier".  It's a VERY long string of letters and numbers, which is typically used in Microsoft Windows-based software.  It's created in such a way that it will ALWAYS be unique, no matter how many people try to create them.  You'll see a whole bunch of them if you go into REGEDIT and poke around...  Virtually everything in Windows has a GUID.

The format is something like this (and here's one I JUST generated...):

6d8fd0e0-7d84-4c70-9f7f-2a77831f274e

When your C3D labels get corrupted, which seems to happen in upgrades from C3D 2010 (and earlier) to later versions of C3D, you'll see your label values replaced with strings like that.

Sinc
Message 8 of 11
Sinc
in reply to: Sinc

Oh, and I suppose it should go without mentioning that if you poke around in REGEDIT, be berry berry careful...  Der's wabbits in there....  🙂

(In other words, you can SERIOUSLY mess up your system if you do the wrong thing.)

Sinc
Message 9 of 11
tom_berning
in reply to: Sinc

To find all the new styles or those that changes for each release, 2011, 2012, and 2013, you can go to the online help and under the new features they list all the new styles and and changes. This helped me to migrate my 2010 template to 2012 then to 2013. The list is usually at the bottom of the new features page.

Tom Berning
Woolpert, Inc.
Civil 3D 2020
Message 10 of 11
MtnMax700

Wha about my CUI's?

Thxs.

David

Message 11 of 11
mathewkol

CUIs? It depends on how they're configured. If you took the civil.cuix and modified it directly, you should NOT use it. If you're using partial CUIXs as you should, they can generally be opened and save without a problem.

You'll generally need to recreate workspaces.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report