Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What changed with the get-InterfaceObject method for '13 & '14?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
nickmerchant
479 Views, 3 Replies

What changed with the get-InterfaceObject method for '13 & '14?

This is a code snippet that was refactored for simplicity to ask a fundamental question:

Visual Lisp

Civil 3D 2014

( vla-getinterfaceobject ( vlax-get-acad-object ) "AeccXUiLand.AeccApplication.10.0" )

No matter what I do, I get this error:

error: Automation Error. Problem in loading application

Please refrain from asking "... why are you using Lisp? .Net is better!..."

Everyone's situation is different. FYI: I've been developing a civil add-on for about 11 years. I know C#.NET. I use it every day and most of my newer development is done in that language (Visual Lisp is actually still VERY useful and MUCH faster to develop [Many Kudos to Autodesk developers for excellent continuity between releases! You've made my job SUPER easy! Thank you!]. However, now that I know C#, I'll never again design another dialog with Lisp/DCL. OMG! What a nightmare!). HOWEVER, I still have functions that depend on this COM functionality.

The condition statement that this snippet belongs to has been around since 2004. Every year I've had to do nothing more than change a character or two to make all my civil functions access the new object model. Suddenly, for 2014 it no longer works.

Does anyone know why?

(Yes, COM is loaded via ( vl-load-com ))

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jeff_M
in reply to: nickmerchant

2014 breaks the yearly increment they've been using. Try 10.3....

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 4
nickmerchant
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff,

I knew you'd be the first to reply with a solution. I don't unerstand why Autodesk has not hired you yet? Maybe you should apply? They picked up Kean, so you should at least be a candidate.

You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you that I "suspected" something inconsistent like that happened, so I tried "...10.1", then "...10.2", then thought, "... that's a dead-end. Just post a question on the DGs..." (LMAO!) Unbelievable!

Even MORE unbelievable; how many websites are showing "10.0" for 2014 and it's totally BOGUS information! They're posting entire blocks of code using that library reference and it hasn't even been tested! What a shame, even from some Autodesk-sponsored pages! I'm really surprised.

Thank you very much, Jeff.

You ARE 'The Man' today!

Regards,

-Nick Merchant

Message 4 of 4

Hi Nick -

If you have missed it earlier, this change was highlighted in our ADN IM Dev Blog post dated 03/27/2013 " What's new in AUTOCAD CIVIL 3D 2014 API?"

If you are using the COM API, you need to update the object version to 10.3 (from 10.0 used in AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013).

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/infrastructure/2013/03/whats-new-in-autocad-civil-3d-2014-api.html

My point of highlighting this change in our DevBlog is not trying to take away credit from Jeff  🙂
Jeff is very helpful and active in our Civil 3D API forum !

Cheers,

Partha Sarkar
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report