Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool Palette groups and profile.aws troubles

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ctbailey
624 Views, 2 Replies

Tool Palette groups and profile.aws troubles

Hi all,

I have recently adopted the procedure of placing several custom tool palettes on a network drive, and then switching the sysvar
*_TOOLPALETTEPATH to control which toolpalette my workstations are using.

This works great.

My trouble is when the user wants to go back to the stock Civil3D toolpalette. The palette groups are wiped out after changing toolpalette path. This is only a problem due to the extremely large amount of palettes that are shipped with Civil3D 2010. I've considered exporting the stock palettes into their own subdirectories, but I would have to do this again next year when 2011 is shipped.

Here's my findings: the profile.aws file does not get updated... until you exit Acad. So, in other words, the profile.aws file seems to be hunky-dory, and the toolpalette groups should function properly when the user switches the path back to the stock location. But, as soon as the user exits ACAD, the profile.aws file gets overwritten, and the grouping section is cleared out.

I do apologize for bringing this horse back to be beaten again, but there has to be a better way.

craig Edited by: ctbailey on Jun 2, 2009 1:37 PM
_______
Craig T. Bailey, PE, LLS, PSM
Bailey Associates
www.bailey-associates.com
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: ctbailey

interesting point, acad settings are not multi-session updateable, its last one wins.
the settings of acad need a major overhaul, brining everything into one database that can be easily updated and parts
exported and imported.

ctbailey <>
|>Hi all,
|>
|>I have recently adopted the procedure of placing several custom tool palettes on a network drive, and then switching the sysvar
|>*_TOOLPALETTEPATH to control which toolpalette my workstations are using.
|>
|>This works great.
|>
|>My trouble is when the user wants to go back to the stock Civil3D toolpalette. The palette groups are wiped out after changing toolpalette path. This is only a problem due to the extremely large amount of palettes that are shipped with Civil3D 2010. I've considered exporting the stock palettes into their own subdirectories, but I would have to do this again next year when 2011 is shipped.
|>
|>Here's my findings: the profile.aws file does not get updated... until you exit Acad. So, in other words, the profile.aws file seems to be hunky-dory, and the toolpalette groups should function properly when the user switches the path back to the stock location. But, as soon as the user exits ACAD, the profile.aws file gets overwritten, and the grouping section is cleared out.
|>
|>I do apologize for bringing this horse back to be beaten again, but there has to be a better way.
|>
|>craig
|>
|>Edited by: ctbailey on Jun 2, 2009 1:37 PM
James Maeding
Civil Engineer and Programmer
jmaeding - at - hunsaker - dotcom
Message 3 of 3

Hey Craig,

How do I get the Palette groups back... I have recently messed mine up with the *_TOOLPALETTEPATH.

CIVIL 3d 2011

Thanks

Brian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report