AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization

AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization

nlambert
Message 1 of 5 (472 Views)
Accepted Solution

Subassembly composer Elevation Target problems

472 Views, 4 Replies
11-15-2012 06:54 AM

I am trying to use an Elevation Target Parameter in the SAC in an equation.

For example using the "Delta X and Delta Y" point geometry type, set from the origin.

Originally I tried:

Delta Y: IF(Invert_Elevation.IsValid, Invert_Elevation.Elevation,0)  In C3D this places the assembly ~2X higher than it should be

I then tried:

Delta Y: IF(Invert_Elevation.IsValid, Baseline.Elevation-Math.ABS(Invert_Elevation.Eleva

tion),0)  This places the assembly closer in C3D, but seems to follow the profile elevation instead of the feature line elevation

If I use other Point Geometry Types that have elevation target overrides I can get the elevations to work correctly in C3D, but I cannot do all of what I want to do by using this method.

Any suggestions?

Employee
peterfunkautodesk
Message 2 of 5 (467 Views)

Re: Subassembly composer Elevation Target problems

11-15-2012 10:25 AM in reply to: nlambert

The second expression is closer to what you need. I would use the "From Point" elevation instead of the baseline elevation because you are looking for a Delta Y between the it and the new point.

I would set the point by Slope and Delta X, where the default slope is 0 and use the target parameter to override the slope. (This gets me out of having to do any calculations).

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

nlambert
Message 3 of 5 (463 Views)

11-15-2012 11:39 AM in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

I have been working around this problem by using methods similar to what you have suggested, however there are times I would like to be able to use the Target.Elevation within a formula to do more complicated things such as switching which point the elevation target is acting on.

I can get them to work fine in the SAC, but once I put them in C3D they dont behave as I expect.

Do you know what value Target.Elevation returns in C3D?

Thanks,

-Nathan

nlambert
Message 4 of 5 (458 Views)

11-15-2012 12:01 PM in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

I think I have found a work around. 

I create a point whose only purpose is to attach to the elevation target (say P1).  I use a known method (slope and x with target override) to snap it to the elevation target.  I use this point's elevation, P1.y, to replace target.Elevation in my equations.

-Nathan

Employee
peterfunkautodesk
Message 5 of 5 (451 Views)

11-15-2012 08:40 PM in reply to: nlambert

The elevation returned should be the elevation of the point, where 0 is sealevel. This won't work for Delta Y unless you subtract the elevation of the point it is attached to.

in your solution, i would use an AUX point instead of a 'real" point so that it doesn't draw in Civil 3D.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.