Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subasemlby Composer Intersection Design Help

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
brianmastbergen7071
490 Views, 10 Replies

Subasemlby Composer Intersection Design Help

We typically design intersections where one street is the through street and goes through the intersection with a normal crown and the side street ties into the edge of the pavement of the through street.

I know that when building the model for the radius between the throught street and the side street, I can create an alignment and profile along the edge of the through street to use as a target for my radius, however when the through street has a vertical curve through the intersection and has multiple curves along its alignment the ease and accuracy of creating the edge of pavement alignment and profile for the though street goes down.

When I try to use an assembly for the radius that targets a polyline along the edge of the through street for width and then targets an edge of pavement profile on the centerline of the through street for elevation I get erratic results using a typical Slope and Delta X that uses the though street edge of pavement profile to over ride the Slope.

Is there a way that I can build a subassembly that follows my radius and sets an auxilary point the edge of pavement of the through street using a polyline as my offset target and then determines the station of the centerline of the through street perpendicular to where my auxilary point is and and gets the profile elevation at that station to use as Y value for an X,Y link where the X comes from the X of the Auxilary point and the Y comes from the through street profile?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi,

Subassembly composer doesn't have any API exposed yet, hence I am presuming this a something you want to achieve using subassembly composer UI tools / commands. If this is true, could you post this question to Civil 3D user forum ?

Thanks,

Partha Sarkar
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 11

I read this a few times and don't really understand what you are asking. Perhaps a sketch would help?

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 4 of 11

See the attached drawing.

I am working my way around the northwest part of the intersection. My cooridor section starts at the curb at point A with the width of the corridor section controled by a poyline along the edge of pavement of Through Street at point B. If I try to get the profile elevation of the alignment for Through Street in order to set the elevation of Point B, the cooridor takes the elevation at point C which is the extension of the corridor section. This is not what I want. I would like to be able to get the centerline elevation of Through Street at point D and use it to calculate the elevation at point B.

I know I can create an alignment and profile at the edge of paving and get elevations from it, but I am trying to reduce the number of alignments and profiles needed becuase it really bogs processing down when you have a large subdivision and creates opportunities for errors if all the profiles do not get updated when you change the profile of Through Street.

If you can help, that would be great. 

Message 5 of 11

Unfortunately you can't 'bend' a subassembly to reference anything other than the things that it intersects within it's own individual plane. Therefore you need to have B calculated in reference to D some other way as you mentioned which just unfortunately can result in lots of Offset alignments. 

AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 6 of 11

Thanks Kati,

Is there a way to make the profile of the offset alignment at the edge of pavement dynamic so it follows the centerline profile of the street?

Message 7 of 11

You can Create Alignment from Corridor (Home ribbon, select the Alignment dropdown and it is an option there) which will keep your offset alignment dynamically linked to the corridor. 

Message 8 of 11

Yes. I can create and alginment from the corridor, however in reading the help file, profiles created from corridor feature lines are static.

Message 9 of 11

My mistake, I forget that the Alignments from Corridor aren't dynamic. I think it's the Feature Line from Alignment that stays dynamic? (Serves me right for trying to answer without opening the software first.)

Message 10 of 11

Extracted alignments and profiles are static, but featurelines can be made dynamic. I don't believe you will be able to target a featureline created by its own corridor, it will likely need to be in another corridor.

Edit: Looks like Kati beat me to the answer.

Message 11 of 11

Thanks. I believe we tried targeting a featureline from the corridor before, but if you left it static, it really messed up thte surface.

I just it is back to the old fashoned way.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report