Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Network Checks - Interference & Structural clash - Ideas

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
MikeEvansUK
530 Views, 2 Replies

Pipe Network Checks - Interference & Structural clash - Ideas

I recently started thinkng about how I could check for clashes against an exported Revit model in Civil  3D in order to aid design and do this on the one product.

I figured that I could use the IntersectWith method but I have recently found this does not work with 3dsolids? Then I had a bright spark: If I can section the solid object by using the pipes level & coordinate information then there must be a clash.

Following K.W' through the interface example I tried this but got confused later on decifering C# to Dot.Net and once I got there (I think) it didn't work.

Sice that I have found that I need to be more thorough in my checks.

I must check that a pipe or structure does not undermine the foundations of the proposed building (see attachment) where the 45 degree splay intersects the base of the foundation I will undermine it.

So far the method I have used is a combination of a Corridor model for the main runs and a pen and ink jobbie on a plan for the structures but this in time consuming and requires a constant change.

I could create pipe network parts for each structure / pipe which is sized and shaped accordingly (probably easier than coding it) but this would mean either swapping all the parts backwards and forwards unless I can have a hidden object in plan,section etc but not in the model.  <Edit - I just Realised I could Dref the network into a new file and use the new parts there instead>.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could automate this to save time and find problems on the fly?

I sudgest that it would need to use the 3dsolid object if possible or convert this to a more usable object from a progamming point of view.

Regards

Mike

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi,

That can have several solutions...so just starting the discussion.

If you have the terrain surface (underside of foundation) you can use Civil 3D Corridors to get the cut on it, as you already mentioned. To start, we have a plugin (http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/pipe2polyline/) to create a pline 3d bellow the pipe network, then you can use that to create the appropriate alignment and profile required to generate the corridor cut on the terrain. I believe that will make better use on Civil 3D built-in features.

I'm not sure if you can fully implement that easily. The sketch you provided is simply on 2d section, but the reality is a 3d and varies on each section, so it can get very complicated.

Back to the initial approach, once you have the cut surface, you can check whenever any placed solid is 'floating', which will be an interference.

Just some ideas...hope this helps.

Regards,

Regards,

Augusto Goncalves
Twitter @augustomaia
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 3 of 3

Augusto Thanks for the input. 

I initially used corridors for the process and found it a little time consuming. Following my original posting I have read up and played with the Partbuilder to try and learn how to make my own parts and I now have a working solution for the structures which have saved me time.

I next need to start looking at the Pipes and see if I can do the same. Unfortunatly these wont automatically adjust for depth like a manhole does so I need to have a further think to adjust for depth.

Not sure that I understand this sentence, particularly if a solid is floating.

"Back to the initial approach, once you have the cut surface, you can check whenever any placed solid is 'floating', which will be an interference."

Thanks

Mike

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report