Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to add properties to pipes and structures through .NET ?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
ruipfbarreiros
2067 Views, 10 Replies

Is it possible to add properties to pipes and structures through .NET ?

Hi,

I wonder if it's possible to add custom made properties to pipes and structures in civil3D through the .NET API?

How would I do that?

Thanks 

---------------------------------------

Using Building Design Suite 2019
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
tyronebk
in reply to: ruipfbarreiros

I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible to create new custom pipe and structure properties through the .Net API. However, once the custom properties are available in the part you can change their values with the API (look into the PartDataRecord and PartDataField classes).

Message 3 of 11
Partha.Sarkar
in reply to: tyronebk

Hi,

Does Civil 3D UI tools allows us to add custom properties to Pipes and Structures ?

I am asking this to confirm that I am not missing anything obvious here.

How about using Xdata / Xrecord (though I haven't tried them on Civil 3D Pipes and Structures) ?

Thanks,

Partha

Partha Sarkar
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 4 of 11
tyronebk
in reply to: Partha.Sarkar

Xdata/Xrecord may work for some cases but misses out on the ability to be called out in Civil 3D labels. After a bit more searching it looks like .net cannot yet add custom properties (there is a bit of .net code on this page for retrieving properties). I haven't yet tested it but you may be able to invoke the PartDataRecord.append COM method to add custom properties. See the relevant COM code here.

In the past I added custom properties by editing the XML files as shown on Being Civil. Unlike parcels or points, it doesn't seem to be possible to add custom properties through the UI.

Message 5 of 11
Partha.Sarkar

Thanks for the update.

You could check one of my earlier post in IM DevBlog :

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/infrastructure/2012/09/how-to-set-pipe-network-parts-data-fields-partd...

This link says : Dynamic properties created with the NetworkCatalogDef class are not yet supported by the .NET API.

Let me know if you succedd in using the COM API or you need any further help from me.

Thanks,

Partha

Partha Sarkar
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 6 of 11

Thanks for your inputs!

Actually tyronebk, I managed to add custom parameters to custom parts just as Being Civil suggests. The problem is that adding those parameters via XML doesn't mean I can access them through .NET, right?

After some further research, I wonder: can't I use an extension method to the pipe class in order to create a sub or a function with the pipe object?

I'm still trying to find out what's the best way to go...

Message 7 of 11
tyronebk
in reply to: ruipfbarreiros

No, you can actually access and change those custom properties, you just can't create them in .net. Here are a couple of methods I've used to get or set the custom property values.

private string GetPartOtherProperty( Part part, string propertyName )
{
	return part.PartData.GetDataFieldBy( propertyName ).Value.ToString();
}

private bool SetPartOtherProperty( Part part, string propertyName, string val )
{
	PartDataField pdf = part.PartData.GetDataFieldBy( propertyName );
	if ( !pdf.IsReadOnly )
	{
		pdf.Value = val;
		return true;
	}
else return false; }

Message 8 of 11
ruipfbarreiros

Thanks for your input!

So how do you create the properties? Is it through XML files?

My problem is that even though I created the parameter and the parameter now appears in the Part Data Structure Properties in civil3D, I can't access it through part.PartData.GetDataFieldBy. When I try this, my new parameter doesn't appear listed...

Message 9 of 11

WOW! This is great!

I tried your method and it works. Even though it's not listed, if I type the property name in getdatafieldby function I get the value of the custom parameter created!

Thanks a lot! That made my day!

Message 10 of 11
eriwalker2415

Good Afternoon,

I really appreciate you posting your code tyronebk! I have just started venturing into .net from writing in AutoLisp and its a bit intimidating. Do you have any suggestions of where I can find sample code I can plug your code into so I can create a program that allows the user to change the custom property of all the selected pipes?

Thank you,

Eric

Message 11 of 11

<CommandMethod("KLTestCommandGroup", "AddDPToPipe", CommandFlags.Modal)> _
        Public Sub AddDynamicPropertyToPipe()
            Dim ed As Autodesk.AutoCAD.EditorInput.Editor = Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument.Editor
            Dim SelectedPipe As AeccPipe = C3DUtil.SelectPipe()
            If Not SelectedPipe Is Nothing Then
                If Not TestFunctions.DeclareNewParameterToPipeNetworkCatalog(C3DUtils, _
                    "KLDesign", "KLDesign", "TypeDimension", "Type and Dimension united", _
                    AeccPartDataFieldType.aeccString, AeccPipeNetworkUsage.aeccStringGeneral) Then
                    Return
                End If
                Dim oPartDataField As AeccPartDataField = Nothing
                Try
                    oPartDataField = SelectedPipe.PartDataRecord.FindByContextAndIndex("KLDesign", 0)
                Catch exArg As System.ArgumentException
                    Debug.WriteLine("Argument Exception: " + exArg.Message + "(" + exArg.ParamName + ")")
                Catch ex As Exception
                    ed.WriteMessage(vbLf + "Virhe: " + ex.Message)
                End Try
                If oPartDataField Is Nothing Then oPartDataField = SelectedPipe.PartDataRecord.Append("KLDesign", 0)
                'oPartDataField.Tag = "Testi 2Mpuk / DN40"
            End If
        End Sub
Public Shared Function DeclareNewParameterToPipeNetworkCatalog(ByRef C3DUtils As C3DUtilities.C3DUtil, _
                ByVal GlobalContext As String, ByVal DisplayContext As String, ByVal ParamName As String, _
                ByVal ParamDesc As String, ByVal DataType As Autodesk.AECC.Interop.Pipe.AeccPartDataFieldType, _
                ByVal Usage As Autodesk.AECC.Interop.Pipe.AeccPipeNetworkUsage) As Boolean
            If C3DUtils Is Nothing Then Return False
            Try
                Dim oSettings As AeccPipeSettingsRoot = C3DUtils.PipeAeccDoc.Settings
                Dim oPipeNetworkCatDef As AeccPipeNetworkCatDef = oSettings.PipeNetworkCatDef
                oPipeNetworkCatDef.DeclareNewParameter(GlobalContext, DisplayContext, ParamName, ParamDesc, DataType, Usage, "Meters", True, False)
                oPipeNetworkCatDef.DeclarePartProperty(GlobalContext, AeccPipeNetworkDomain.aeccDomPipe, 10)
            Catch ComEx As System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
                If ComEx.ErrorCode = -2145386475 Then 'Duplicate key
                    Return True
                End If
            End Try
            Return True
        End Function

Have anyone try to create properties like above code? I don´t remember is this work because it was about Civil 2010 version when I try to figure this out but smothing maybe missing.

Cheers

Veli V.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report