Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Automatic Curve Widening?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
smarkel
1422 Views, 3 Replies

Custom Automatic Curve Widening?

Already posted this in the general C3D forum with no success, hopefully someone here can lend a thought...

I'm wondering if anyone out there has used a non-AASHTO curve widening formula to calculate automatic curve widening for an alignment?  I'm trying to use our Agency curve widening formula which is a function of curve radius and  central angle.  

I'm not sure if it is even possible to use the central angle of the curve for calculating widening, or how one would go about using a non-AASHTO CW formula.  Does anyone have any thoughts here?

Attached is the curve widening formula that needs to be used.  L will be a constant here.

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: smarkel

Have a look into the file "_Autodesk Civi l 3D Roadway Design Standards.xsd" located here "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Data\Corridor Design Standards" for civil 3d 2013, (C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2012\enu\Data\Corridor Design Standards for 2012) and the file " _Autodesk Civil 3D Imperial Roadway Design Standards.xml" located here C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2013\enu\Data\Corridor Design Standards\Imperial.

In the second file you will find the section on widening methods which explains the variables available for use, and gives an example of widening by formula and also by table. It shows the "AASHTO Simple Formula" and "AASHTO Standard Formula"

I would make a copy of this file and edit the copy to create a new widening method (using a name you like) based on your formula.

The first file specifies how the standards file is constructed and what pieces are required or optional.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 3 of 4
smarkel
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

This makes sense that one would want to make changes to this file to modify the curve widening formula.  However, I need to be using a formula based on different variable than are defined in the file.  Specifically I need to be using the Central Angle and Radius of the curve.  Radius is defined as an available variable, however central angle is not.  I'm not sure if it would even be possible to define a new variable by modifying this file.  Is this possible?  If so how would you want to go about it?

Message 4 of 4
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: smarkel

I think this is a question to throw at autodesk.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report