Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access Civil 3D 2014 Developer's Guide?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
ltmullen
805 Views, 20 Replies

Can't access Civil 3D 2014 Developer's Guide?

I'm trying to learn how to develop plug-ins for Civil 3D 2014 using .NET. I have downloaded the necessary packages and set up Visual Studio as a development environment...now all I need is a reference to work from.

I saw that there is supposed to be a Developer's Guide for this; there is a link that is supposed to take me to it on the page http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=21329326, but clicking on the link doesn't work, in either Chrome or Internet Explorer. Is it working for anyone else/is there another way to get to this guide? If anyone else has the guide in some sort of file form and could send it to me, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Jeff_M
in reply to: ltmullen

It appears the WikiHelp site (which is where that link will take you) is down right now. You can get the API Reference here: http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2014/ENU/API_Reference_Guide/index.html

AFAIK there is no downloadable version of the DevGuide.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 21
Partha.Sarkar

Here are the useful links -

AUTOCAD CIVIL 3D 2014 API Developer's Guide 

AUTOCAD CIVIL 3D 2014 API Reference Guide

And learning videos from ADN Team -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScW2gSUaxm8

DevTVs Autodesk DevTV YouTube Channel.

Hope this helps !

Thanks,

Partha

Partha Sarkar
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 4 of 21
ltmullen
in reply to: Jeff_M

The site being down would explain it then. Hopefully it gets back up soon.

Message 5 of 21
Jeff_M

It is working for me now.

EESignature
Message 6 of 21
ltmullen

Well, it worked for me for a minute...then stopped working again. This is kinda frustrating.

Message 7 of 21
ltmullen

OK, I might have spoken too soon...looks like it works in IE but not Chrome. Don't know why that would be...but oh well. As long as it keeps working in something.

Message 8 of 21
Partha.Sarkar

Links work fine in IE as well as Chrome. I can open them in my machine using Chrome (Version 29.0.1547.66 m).

Please check which version of Chrome are you using and if that needs any update.

Thanks,

Partha Sarkar

Partha Sarkar

Message 9 of 21

Looks like it isn't working again, tried:

IE10 (10.0.0200.16660)

Firefox 21.0

Chrome Version 29.0.1547.66 m

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 10 of 21

For me it's alternating/not working practically every time I try clicking on a new page within it. Just have to keep hitting refresh. Don't know why this site would be running like it's being hosted by an old laptop in someone's basement but I don't really have any other options in terms of comprehensive instructional resources...guess I should just be glad it's there at all...ha ha.

Message 11 of 21

I just checked again and I find both the wikihelp and docs links are working fine in my machine with IE9.

See the attached screenshots.

Civil3D_WikiHelp.png

Civil3D_API_Ref.png

Thanks,

Partha

Partha Sarkar

Message 12 of 21

Just started working for me also. Any chance the Developer & API reference could be made available for download? It's been really hit or miss on the web-based documents being available.

I don't mind using online publications as long as they are consistently available but that does not seem to be the case.

Mike Robertson
Message 13 of 21
Jeff_M
in reply to: michael.robertson

Partha, I'm with Michael on this. The wikihelp is a hit or miss for me as well. The API Reference I can almost always get to, as it is at docs.autodesk.com, but anything at wikihelp.autodesk.com can be frustrating to get to.

EESignature
Message 14 of 21
ltmullen

Well, I stumbled upon what appears to be largely the same document in PDF form, although it's the 2013 version so probably slightly different:

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/AutoCAD_Civil_3D_API_Developer_s_Guide.pdf

Message 15 of 21
Partha.Sarkar

Yes, for 2013 release we had a PDF version which you could download and use offline. However, for 2014, there is no offline version 😞

Partha Sarkar

Message 16 of 21
jdherman
in reply to: Partha.Sarkar

What is the reason that there is no PDF version available?  Either my internet connection is slow or is the Autodesk server that overloaded?  I get a waiting on AutoDesk server message while waiting unpatiently for the document to load.

Message 17 of 21
ltmullen

While we're on the topic (I think this is related enough to post it here...if I get no response I'll do a new topic)...does anyone know how to access the general Autocad .NET API (not Civil 3D...just "vanilla" AutoCAD)? On the AutoCAD customization page it says it's included with the ObjectARX installation or you can download a guide that integrates into Visual Studio...but I can't make sense of how to access either. The files that came with my Object ARX download are scattered help files that don't seem to form a comprehensive guide to anything, and after I downloaded the version that was supposed to integrate into Visual Studio, I couldn't figure out how to access it.

Any help here?

Message 18 of 21
Jeff_M

In the ObjectArx 20XX\docs folder will be an "arxmgd.chm" file. This is the .NET managed API help for AutoCAD. It should be usable through the Help system of Visual Studio:

10-1-2013 4-01-33 PM.png:

EESignature
Message 19 of 21

Hello,
Where DevGuide 2014 now? I'm trying to open Civil 3D 2014 Wiki site and get Autodesk Subassembly Composer help only:

Civil3D DevGuid 2014

I click Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 Developer’s Guide link from official web site (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=21329326#section9):

Autodesk help

and get Autodesk Subassembly Composer help again ((
Is C3D DevGuid 2014 available anywhere?

Message 20 of 21

Just to confirm I'm seeing the same problem.

I'm submitting an ADN support issue right away.

Mike Robertson

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report