Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Radial (R) to Bearings in Table

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
dwcouch123
2343 Views, 12 Replies

Adding Radial (R) to Bearings in Table

Does anyone have a way to add a (R) to the Bearing dislpay, to indicate a radial bearing, in a Line Table?? This would only apply to certain lines, not all of them. I can specify which line. That function does not need to be automatic.

Dave
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
nmessina
in reply to: dwcouch123

Dave,

If your a Surveyor wishing to use Civil 3D for survey work, the sad truth is that your going to need to learn programming and customization. Civil 3D is not surveyor friendly, and does not recognize such concepts of Radial Bearings. You'll also notice when using Mapcheck Analysis and simply drawing parcels that contain non-tangent curves Civil 3D has no methods for importing such non-tangent curves using Radial Bearings. When inputing non-tanget curves you must manually calculated the Chord Bearing. While I know this does not answer your question it does explain why Curve Labels and Tables do not include Radial Bearing.

To answer your question and solve the problem go to your Toolspace Settings Tab. Expand Label Styles then expand Curve. You'll need to created an Expression for Radial Bearing "{General Segment End Direction}-DEG2RAD(90)" That will give you the means to have a Radial Bearing on a Curve Label however I've not figured out at this time to add that to a Curve Table..

PS Autodesk, please hire more Surveyors, from various backgrounds and locations. The practice of surveying is not limited to one methodology and universal procedure. Surveyor may describe Parcels on the East coast much differently from the West coasts. For example here in the Florida, the vast majority of legal descriptions use Radial Bearings to describe non-tangent curves. Many other locations may use Chord Bearing, surveyors should have the flexability to use more than one method for any given procedure.
Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM
Message 3 of 13
RandyBenson
in reply to: nmessina

I can't sufficiently express my disappointment that this hasn't been addressed by Autodesk yet, a full release and a tenth later than your post. This is not a which-coast issue. I can't think of a single recorded document that I've ever seen (on the left coast) that contains a legal discription that uses other than radial bearings to describe non-tangent curve directions. What the hey, I've only been surveying since 1972 in California so I can't have read more than say 30,000 deeds, written between say 1870 and the present. Some describe a curve by radius and arc length, most describe it by radius and delta, but they're all consistent in that, where a bearing is used to describe the direction of a non-tangent curve, it is the radial bearing that they use.

What makes it truly teeth-grinding is knowing how easy it would be for Autodesk's programmers to cure.

Message 4 of 13
RandyBenson
in reply to: RandyBenson

Ping.

Message 5 of 13

At our company, we generally add (R) to the tag itself, and not to the table.  See the attached picture.  You can do that by selecting the tag, right-clicking it and selecting "Edit Label Text".  (Sometimes you have to select it again).  Then to the right where is says L<[Label Tag Number]>, you can add (R).  so it says:

"L<[Label Tag Number]> (R)"

You could also try creating an expression and using that in your tag tables, although I don't think you will come up with anything that resembles your current way of doing things.

-Mark

Message 6 of 13

Hi Mark:

Thanks for commenting.

That's what we're doing now, it's just pretty clunky. I'm hoping to catch some Adesker's attention here since IMO it would be quick and easy to build into Civil3D2012.1

-Cheers,

Randy

Message 7 of 13
nmessina

We area almost approaching 3 years of this discussion and sadly Autodesk still ignores Surveyors.  This issue is more than simply adding Radial Bearing to the Curve labeling and Curve Table it also involves the plotting of Parcels as read in a deed or plat map.   Weither your Parcel Mapcheck or drawing Lines/Curve to plot the parcel there is NO WAY to draw a non tanget curve using Radial Bearings.   The only work around is to manually calculated the Chord Bearing or to draw the Radial Line, then rotate the line 90 degress then draw a Tangent curve.

Message 8 of 13
RandyBenson

Here comes the Civil 3D 2013 download (fingers crossed)...

Message 9 of 13
nmessina

I've been logging into my Autodesk Subsription account daily looking to install Civil 3D 2013, however its still not availble for download yet.   Hopefully, if Radial Bearings are included they include that feature across the entire aspect for Surveying, not just labeling.  Non-Radial Curves should be included in Mapcheck Analysis, In the Line/Curve Menu and be included as a transparent entry mode such as 'RB.

Message 10 of 13
RandyBenson

RB.

I like it!

Message 11 of 13
RandyBenson

Maybe in Civil 3D 2014?

(tapping fingers)...

Message 12 of 13
RandyBenson

-ping-

Maybe in Civil 3D 2014?

(tapping fingers)...

Message 13 of 13
mjung

Doesn't look like it has been fixed in 2014, 2015 or 2016.

The choices for Curve Table components remains the same.....

Curve_Table_Component_choices.png

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report