AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization

tmartin
Message 11 of 17 (310 Views)

Re: 2011 Deployment Customization

08-25-2010 05:00 PM in reply to: tdivittis

Wow my simple conversation about pathing and request for an explanation have ballooned into a whole new topic . I attend AU every year with special interest in the management portion of things. The suggestion that these courses will be the guiding light with the direction fix what is clearly broken is bogus. The last time I tried to get a simple answer out of that Civil 3D customization course about crashing I got “ it’s not our software it’s your 7 year old OS(windows XP)” only one week after windows 7 was on AutoDesk’s approved list.

What I want it AUTODESK to answer the simple question where did the ability to set pathing in my deployment go????? Orca is a great solution (thanks for that one) but for the price all of us pay for subscription based products I want tools that work! The subscription revenue hog assumes that a release every year is necessary but I would rather wait 2 or even 3 years if the release didn’t require 4 service packs to work properly and not crash.

I want people to want more out of their software! The simple answer “it’s not in there anymore” is not good enough. I will be at AU this year and I want people to ask the tough questions and not be satisfied with answers like “it’s your OS not our software”

Still  searching for answers in a quagmire of confussion…..

Ted Martin

tmartin
Message 12 of 17 (308 Views)

08-25-2010 05:18 PM in reply to: tmartin

FYI Revit has an INI file that can be edited resolving deployments that can't be repathed. It can be found at

\AdminImage\RevitSetup\RevitArchitecture\program files\Autodesk\Root\program\Reivt.ini

no such luck with Civil 3D yet!!!

Regards

Ted Martin

Active Contributor
gr8gonzo0
Message 13 of 17 (105 Views)

10-10-2012 10:24 AM in reply to: tmartin

Autodesk where are you? We need answers to this. It is very frustrating to have to set the support file paths on each individual workstation. Has anyone found a better way to handle this?

tmartin
Message 14 of 17 (101 Views)

10-10-2012 11:08 AM in reply to: tmartin

Yes there is an answer. It is an old solution that we used to incorporate customization long ago.... Using custom shortcuts to control a profile and template loading on startup. You will require a configured .arg and a template stored on a shared drive.... I have attached a local example of an edited target that forces the arg and template with a double click of the icon.

Target : "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011\acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011\AecBase.dbx" /t "d:\AutoCAD_2011\Templates\Civil3d\_MY_Civil3d2011_m_NCS-local.dwt" /p "d:\AutoCAD_2011\Templates\Civil3d\_MY_C3d_remote.arg"

The red text is what I have added to the sortcut to have Civil 3D start with "_MY_Civil3d2011_m_NCS-local.dwt" and the /p (profile) start "_MY_C3d_remote.arg" (in this cad a D drive but this could just as easily be a network drive)

the image attached shows where the target data would reside in the shortcut. Once edited all you need to to is install the program (OOTB) and copy your custom icons to the desktop or use group policy to update the workstations.

tdivittis
Message 15 of 17 (92 Views)

10-11-2012 06:53 AM in reply to: gr8gonzo0
I'm using a custom .NET solution, launched from the enterprise mnl. Less than ideal, but has much more opportunity for me anyway. I'm 'fortunate' to be supporting a larger group, justifying my time in setting it all up......I realize others are not as fortunate and still would like an explanation to why so much power was removed. Sent from my iPhone
Active Contributor
gr8gonzo0
Message 16 of 17 (77 Views)

10-15-2012 09:12 AM in reply to: tmartin

Thanks tmartin. I have been considering using the custom profile and shortcut; however, it seemed like more work and confusion to have people update their shortcuts. But, I did not think to just setup up one shortcut and have everyone copy it to their desktop. That just might work :smileyhappy: .

The only other drawback I think is that the custom profile will override any settings made by individual users everytime they start the program. For instance, changing the crosshair size or color schemes. This is not necessarily a deal breaker but was wondering how you deal with it on your end. Is everyone just locked into the same settings? 

tmartin
Message 17 of 17 (72 Views)

10-15-2012 10:55 AM in reply to: tmartin

Think of the profile as having two parts to it the paths and the interface. When a user loads a custom ARG from a short cut it loads the data (paths, colors, cross hairs etc.) to the users profile in the registry. The registry is specific to the user and he/she can still modify the interface without overwriting the ARG located on the server. So in short your users are not limited to your initial ARG (just make sure your users don't goof with the paths)!

Regards

Ted

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs