AutoCAD Civil 3D Community Knowledge Base

How to Create a Viewport With a Hole in It

by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-22-2013 11:02 AM - edited on ‎04-22-2013 11:02 AM by Alumni TBasich

You want to create a hole in a viewport either to mask the area underneath or to use a second viewport to show a detail.

To do this, create two polylines. One should represent the overall viewport and one the area you want to cut out. If you want to show a detail in the masked area, make a copy of the polyline you're using for the interior viewport. Use the REGION command to create a region out of the lager polyline and the copy of the smaller one. Use the SUBTRACT command to subtract the smaller region from the larger one. You will now have a region with a hole in it.

Create a viewport from the resultant region. It will also have a hole in it. To show a detail in the area of the hole, create a viewport from the remaining polyline. That will fill in the hole with a new viewport.

If you want the cut out area to be circular, create a polygon with 20 to 50 sides, depending on how smooth you want it to look. You can use the resultant polyline to create the hole in the region and a copy as a viewport. The "circle" may not have to be too smoth if you're going to cover it with a circular border

Comments
by *Expert Elite* on ‎04-28-2013 10:43 PM

This article would probably be more appropriate as part of the general AutoCAD CKB, since it applies to the base product and all of the verticals that are added to that.

by madasianusha on ‎04-08-2014 03:59 AM

hi am just starting with inventor i want to create hole in cylinder by using rules in eto......i tried to generate hole as it is like child hole as ivhole but am geting that working can you please help me out with this..... 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Contributors