AutoCAD Architecture Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Customization Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

office standard template update?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
joseg
538 Views, 2 Replies

office standard template update?

Greetings,

Our office standard and navigator template was created for Architecture 2008.  But we're still using it for Architecture 2014.  We have been using the 2008 template in other releases since then.  Some in our office feel that we need to update the template to 2014, for they feel the 2014 performance suffers with the old template.  Could this possibly be true?  If so, how do you go about it? Is there a quick way of doing this?

Many thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
David_W_Koch
in reply to: joseg

I cannot recommend what you should do, since I do not know how your office uses AutoCAD Architecture, how much customization (if any) was put into your current (2008) template, which, if any, of the newer features you expect to use, or what resources can be committed to any effort to upgrade your template and content.  You will have to take your understanding of all of that along with what I can offer below and determine the best course of action for your firm.

There have been a number of changes to AutoCAD Architecture, including changes to the underlying "vanilla" AutoCAD, between the 2008 and 2014 releases.  Some of those changes and features are inherent in the program, and simply opening your 2008 template and saving it to the 2014 format will allow them to be used.  But there are other features, such as changes to the display settings and changes to layer key styles that will not be available or will not be properly implemented if you are still using a 2008 template and/or 2008 content.  My office is about to deploy ACA 2014, to replace ACA 2010, and I have spent quite a bit of time reviewing changes to display settings and layer key styles, both to incorporate new features as well as to correct any shortcomings in our current template and content.  I started our new template from the out-of-the-box 2014 template, and then added/copied/edited items as appropriate to maintain our standards.  We keep our templates fairly lean, so the major item there was display settings.  I chose to take this opportunity to carefully review our display settings, correcting a few errors, introducing the use of layer keys in display settings (new in 2013) and checking transparency settings (also new in 2013).  I also spend a good deal of time reviewing the out-of-the-box Layer Key Styles from 2014 and comparing them to the current US National CAD Standard and our current Layer Key Style, which with very few edits, exists as it did in the 2004 release, when we combined the layer keys from both what was then Architecture Desktop and Architectural Building Systems and added some of our own.  There are a LOT more layer keys now, and I wanted to include them, mapped to the layers our in-house engineers use, so that they could take advantage of layer keying for any future content that may be developed.

Unless you have a lot of customization in your 2008 template, expect to use few of the new features added since then and have very limited resources to apply to any upgrading, I would suggest seriously considering starting with the out-of-the-box 2014 template that is closest to what you need, and then transferring/recreating your office standards in that file (text styles, dimension styles, etc.). 

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 3
joseg
in reply to: David_W_Koch

How do I "open" the 2008 template to save it to 2015?  Maybe I should've been more clear.  I meant the sheet set template.  Do I even have to save it up to 2015?  Can I just leave it "as is"?

thanks,

Jose

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost