AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

acad.exe 2012 (64bit) hanging/stalling/freezing - W7 SP1 64bit

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
home
14801 Views, 35 Replies

acad.exe 2012 (64bit) hanging/stalling/freezing - W7 SP1 64bit

My ACAD hangs when I try to open/save. I've reinstalled the computer with only Op + ACAD. The second a explorer window opens, ACAD hangs. Tried different install options for 3 days now. I really need help!!
35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
pendean
in reply to: home

I have no idea if this is related, and it is not a guaranteed solution, but you are not the first to report around here a Win7 SP1 install and AutoCAD 2012 hanging. So far I have resisted it with the 2012 versions and not seeing any issues.

Message 3 of 36
Dan.Dominik

I've been having similar issues, except that once I have Revit Arch (part of the package) running Autocad won't start.  The program hangs at launch after RIBBON, etc are processed.

The only way I've found around this was to disable/kill WSCommCntr.exe via task manager.  This is often reported as the module casuing the hang in the kill task dialogues.  Autocad behaves erratically for about ten seconds, then appears to launch another instance of WSCommCntr.exe in the task manager and Acad becomes responsive....

Message 4 of 36
home

Whenever I click "Open" from the File menu within AutoCad 2012 (64-bit running on Windows 7 sp1), the program completely freezes and I must close it from task manager to regain responsiveness. It freezes before displaying the file selection dialog box. I can open files from Windows Explorer, but I find that to be less efficient, and I would prefer the program to work as it should.

However what is strange is that the Open dialog will show the first few times I try it, after a fresh install. Then for no apparent reason it causes the freezing issue I described. If I perform a repair install, it will work a few more times before relapsing again.

I think it is related to Windows 7 update as everything worked fine until shortly after some updates.

(Aero has been on all the time)

Message 5 of 36
ivanloh55

I have exactly the same problem. ACAD 2012 worked fine the first time after installation. The second time I called for acad 2012 it hanged when I tried to open a file. I can use internet explorer to open a file but I cannot use "save as" after editing the file, it just hanged! I have to use Task Manager to kill the programme.

I updated my graphic driver, window 7 X64 etc but no luck. Anyone out there know how to fix this problem. Autodesk solution offered (2 items) did not work. Looks like Autodesk does not know how to solve this issue.

Message 6 of 36
jon
Community Visitor

I am also having the same problem have done uninstall and reinstalled rebooted conatcted autodesk support still waiting for a reply reseller who passed it to autoesk. Have updated graphics driver though this wont load due to missing grahpics hardware.

Have wasted 2 days so far and ready to throw machine out of window.

Would happen just after i had renewed subscription!

Message 7 of 36
home

I’m from Sweden and I have the Nordic version of ACAD. It was my understanding that the ones without
problems live in US. I downloaded the US version from US homepage. After
installation my Nordic ACAD worked just fine. Problem solved!!!

Message 8 of 36
Chienlaid

I am having similar problems with 2012.   If the application is open for a period of time and I click quick save, the program hangs for a few minutes before it starts responding or it will just crash to desktop.  Sometimes it just crashes to desktop at random.  

I have reinstalled my OS twice already.  I had the same problem with 2011 and I was hoping that by upgrading to 2012 the problem would go away, but no luck.

I even upgraded my video card to a Quadro FX 390 and still no improvement.

This is extremely frustrating.  I hope they fix this soon.

Message 9 of 36
A_Romtec

who decided this was solved? thats a joke. its no where solved...

we have two indentical systems running windows 7 sp1 64 bit and i have to say this is slower than xp 32bit 2011 ACA we have one system still using Vista 32 bit 2012 ACA and it runs fine, its not the fastest machine we have and only has 3 gig ram vrs 4 for the other two machine but it runs better than they do.

i got used to creating a polyline everytime i wanted to hatch something in 2011 but with 2012 this is recidulous it stinks to put it politely, every single time it locks up and says not responding for 2 or 3 min and then finally does something, but good lord dont try and edit a hatch you might as well take a break and go get some coffee at the corner shop it might be ready when you get back... and it lags so bad it drives me nuts... yeah i agree with everyone else autodesk better come up with a patch soon, or i will tell our purchasing deptment to cancel the subsription and reload 2011 and stay with it for a while... i knew i should have waited to load it till the sp came out... =( seriously disappointed in autodesk AGAIN...

Message 10 of 36
mchristop
in reply to: A_Romtec

Autodesk, please fix this soon.  We have spent a lot of money on subscriptions
and new hardware and we are way less productive than we were on old xp machines
and ACA2009.  It just took me 17 minutes to publish one sheet.  My crash reports will not submit, I get:

________________________________________________________________________________

Error 500--Internal
  Server Error

From RFC 2068 Hypertext
  Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1
:

10.5.1 500 Internal Server Error

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

________________________________________________________________________________

Windows 7 Pro -64 sp1

i7 970 processor

12 GB memory

Quadro 1800 and 3700

Solid state hard drive and secondary 7200rpm SATA.

This is beyond aggravating! 
My users are going crazy and the project managers are going balistic!

Message 11 of 36
adamgibson8381
in reply to: mchristop

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to
Message 12 of 36
A_Romtec

So i am stillnot happy with windows 7, 64bit 2012 ACA it still lags so slow it drives me nuts, and printing now is so slow we get about one page every 30 secounds with a 30 page per min printer (and with 2011 ACA we were getting that!) so its not the printer!

But it is better than the last time i wrote, not enough to keep me from still not being happy (as noted above) but heres what i have done;

i downloaded the: AutoCAD 2012 Performance Slowdown Hotfix (32/64 bit)  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17013122&linkID=9240658

downloaded the: Autodesk 2012 Block Editor Save Corruption Hot Fix http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17244799&linkID=9240658

also the: Autodesk 2012 Content Explorer Service Hot Fix http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16732560&linkID=9240658

and last i downloaded the: Autodesk IPv4 Network License Manager for Windows  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16273699&linkID=9240658

because this one was what our network manager said was correct... But now the when brousing to find files in ACA it is so slow going from one directory to another i dont use it anymore, i use explorer and open the file in expolorer, doesnt that defeat the purpose Autocad!!!

Also i want to empasize to whoever is monitoruing this message board, ITS NOT FIXED, THE PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED!!!!!!! Do Not mark it as such...

Message 13 of 36
mchristop
in reply to: A_Romtec

Bump!

Still waiting for a solution Autodesk!

Not cool!

Not fixed!

Not happy!

Where did I put that phone number for the Archicad reseller?  It is time to consider jumping ship.

Message 14 of 36
ToanDN
in reply to: mchristop

Your 64-bit computers have 4GB of RAM?  I wouldn't run any 64-bit Autodesk programs on a machine with less than 8GB of RAM: vanilla AutoCAD 8GB, ACA 12-16GB, Revit 24GB.  Do yourself a favor and add more RAM, even if you go back to ACA 2011.

Message 15 of 36
Chienlaid
in reply to: ToanDN

I have 8GB in my machine, with an intel quad core Q9400 and an Nvidia Quadro FX380 and I still have the freezing, crashing, hanging problem.

I had to set up my machine as a dual boot (Win7 & WinXP 64bit) just so I could use Autocad.  I have no problems using XP 64bit.

Message 16 of 36
mchristop
in reply to: ToanDN

I actually have 12GB of ram. I am not sure how you accomplish
16GB with sets of three. A 5 year old XP-32 w/ os limited 3GB memory out
performs this machine when the project navigator is in use on a network. That
is sad. There is clearly a problem here. Autocad Architecture 2012 stops
responding frequently when working with projects on the network. Our server is
a loaded HP DL380 w/ WinServer2003 x64. I am not sure if the problem is with:

ACA2012 on Win7-64

Win7-64 on Win2003 x64

ACA2012 accessing project files on WinServer2003 x64

It could even be network switches. (3com 3870 48-port 1000) It
is just frustrating that so many people are having the same problem and nobody
knows what is causing it.

As a test I copied a project to my local drive. I used the out
of the box imperial profile. I was able to drag 7 interior elevation model
space views on to a new imperial sheet in 22.5 seconds. I then opened the
project on the server without closing Autocad and still using the same imperial
profile and it took 131 seconds to drag the same 7 interior elevations on to a
new imperial sheet. Oddly enough, during this test I didn't experience the
"not responding" that I am used to seeing. So essentially it takes 6
hours to do 1 hour of work.

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit SP-1

Intel Core I7-970 3.2GHz LGA 1366CPU (6 cores)
Intel DX58S02 ATX LGA 1366 Motherboard
Kingston 12GB Ram (3x4GB CL9 Non-ECC Unbuffered Memory)
PNY Quadro FX 1800 768MB PCI-E Dual DVI/Display Port
Intel X25-M 120GB SATA Internal MLC SSD HD
WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA II 3G HD (32MB)
Antec THREE HUNDRED Black Steel ATX Midtower
Antec BP550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V PS
Liteon iHAS424 SATA 24X Lightscribe DVD+/-RW

Message 17 of 36
jeff

Had the same problem with 2011.

Had to unistall

Windows Install Clean Up

Manually delete all remaining folders

And has worked since then

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=35260.msg404986#msg404986

You can also find your answers @ TheSwamp
Message 18 of 36
andrenext
in reply to: jeff

@Jeff wrote:

Had the same problem with 2011.

Had to unistall

Windows Install Clean Up

Manually delete all remaining folders

And has worked since then

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=35260.msg404986#msg404986

I did this a lot of times. And it's a problem since autocad 2009

it's definitely not solved.

Message 19 of 36
Chienlaid
in reply to: andrenext

Ever since the new service pack for 2012 came out, my autocad has been pretty stable.

I still get the odd crash, but the Not Responding problem is gone.

It's not completely fixed, but it's a start.

Message 20 of 36
mchristop
in reply to: Chienlaid

I am wondering if anyone has this problem that has a Win2008 x64 server.  I am following another thread http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Architecture/ACA-2012-performance/td-p/3147386

and it appears that the problem is primarily if not entirely related to Win2003 servers.

I have a request for information from those who use the project browser.

If anyone has problems on a Win2008 x64 server, please speak up. 

If anyone doesn't have the problem on Win2003 x64 server, also please speak up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost