AutoCAD Architecture Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Customization Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting numbers in door schedule

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
3CADMonkeys
2449 Views, 4 Replies

Sorting numbers in door schedule

The door schedule lists the door numbers as follows:

A200A 

A201.1A

A201.1B

A201A

A202A

A202B

etc...

The first letter is for area designation (Prefix)

The number is the room number

The last letter is the door designation (Suffix)

The Prefix is set under room object definition (Format - Case Upper)

The number is set under room object definition (Format - Number Object)

Then compiled using a formula definition under room object definition (Format - Case Upper)

Thus you have A201

Then under door objects the door number references the compiled room object definition (Format - Case Upper)

The suffix is set under door object definition (Format - Case Upper)

Then compiled using a formula definition under door object definition (Format - Case Upper)

Thus you have A201A

How do I get the numbers to sort correctly with decimal points?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: 3CADMonkeys

Define "correctly".

Is the order you show what you are getting, and not correct?

If so, should A201.1A and A201.1B come after A201A?

If so, are A201 and A201.1 both room numbers?

From your description, it sounds like your door numbers are all strings, so you should not be having a sorting issue because ACA is interpreting numeric-only items as numbers and mixed numeric-alpahabetic items as strings. I did a quick test, and found that A201A would sort before A201.1A. What version are you using? Can you post a sample file and describe the desired sort order? You should be able to get the sort to work as you want, but if you are "fighting" the natural sort order, you may have to do a little extra work to get the results you want.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Operator error; I was sorting on the wrong property in my test file. I am getting A201.1A sorting before A201A, so I assume that ACA sorts "." before alphabetic characters.

I was able to sort A201A before A201.1A without adding any new properties. I added two hidden columns to the Schedule Table, one for the room number location property and one for the number suffix property. I sorted on the room number property first, and then on the number suffix property.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Here is the sample file on which I was working, done in ACA 2014.  If you have ACA 2014 or 2013, you can take a look at the Door Schedule Table on the right, particularly the Columns and Sorting tabs of the Schedule Table Style, to see how the sorting was done.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 5
3CADMonkeys
in reply to: 3CADMonkeys

David,

Thanks for looking into this. I came to about the same conclusion.

The door number was referencing a formula to add the prefix and the number together under room objects.  I guess this changed the way autocad sorts placing the "." before whole numbers.

What I did was reference the door object prefix to the roomobject prefix; the door object number to the room object number and create a compilation formula under door object.

Added the hidden columns to the schedule and used sort order to finish it out.

Thank you for your help,

Josh

ACA 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost