AutoCAD Architecture Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Customization Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same custom tool palettes on 2 computers.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
watsonrb0
695 Views, 1 Reply

Same custom tool palettes on 2 computers.

I use ACA 2012 on two seperate computers and would like to be able to have all my custom tool palettes, blocks, customizations, etc.. to migrate to both computers.  I.e. I add a new tool to a tool palette on one computer and then when I'm working on second computer that new tool appears in palette in correct location. I would think the easist way to do this would to be to share the location of the tool palettes, customization files, etc.. at a common place (network share) but am unable to find all the files and settings to do this.

Does anyone have any ideas, books or articles on the web that would explain this better?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
David_W_Koch
in reply to: watsonrb0

Some thoughts, not necessarily complete:

1. The source files referenced by your tool palette tools need to be accessible to both computers.  If that means moving the source files, then you will either need to remake the tools from the relocated source files or spend some quality time with an XML editor changing the paths of all the source files.
  2. You will probably want to copy your entire user support folder to a network location accessible to both computers.  If you are not certain where that is currently, you might try looking in the various subcategories on the Files tab of the Options dialog.  (There is a default location for this, but it varies with operating system, and the location can be customized during installation, so your location may not be in the default location.)  For example, one of the Support File Search Path locations for my installation of ACA 2010 at work is C:\Users\dkoch\appdata\roaming\autodesk\aca 2010\enu\support , which happens to be my user support folder.
  3. You will need to create a new profile (starting with a copy of the current one), and change the paths that reference your support folder and any folder under it, to the copied network location.  Of particular interest to the topic at hand are the Tool Palette File Locations.  Any that point to folders under your user support folder will need to be changed to the equivalent folder in the copied network location.  But do check every single path in all of the subcategories for additional paths/files that need to be redirected to the new location.
  4. Be certain to copy the RegisteredTools folder and repath that.  You will also need the Profiles folder, as that holds the instructions for where ACA is to find the various palettes for each AutoCAD Profile.
  5. I have successfully copied local workspace tool palettes from an old computer to a new computer in the same relative folder locations.  I am not certain if the above will work if you are changing the relative locations, or if there are paths in the XML files that would have to be edited to suit the new location.  You might be better off creating a network based tool catalog, copying your current palettes there, then setting up your network location for local support and i-dropping the palettes from your catalog to the new location.  If you do not want the i-dropped palettes to refresh from the catalog to make future edits easier, you can specify that in the properties of the tool catalog in the Content Browser, but unchecking the Link items when added to workspace toggle, near the bottom of the Catalog Properties dialog.
  6. You might not want to try to run ACA on both computers at the same time, with profiles pointing to the same local workspace location.  I have never done that, so I have no idea whether that would be a problem or not, but it may be that the first computer could lock out the second one.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost