AutoCAD Architecture Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Customization Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change default XRef type (Overlay vs. Attach) - Project Navigator

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mbabich
2711 Views, 4 Replies

Change default XRef type (Overlay vs. Attach) - Project Navigator

Hi,

Does anyone know how to tell Project Navigator to use a specific XRef type (Overlay vs. Attach) by default?

I don't like Attach for reasons in the past (think Release 13 and circular references). I want all my XRef's to be Overlays.

I do understand the advantages of Attach, but once bitten twice shy.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a registry tweak or check box or some other method to tell PN to use Overlay vs. Attach, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Yes, I also know that you can right-click on a Construct/Element and select either/or from the pop-up menu however, I'm talking about drag-n-drop and when creating a new View and/or Sheet where you select the Constructs/Elements you want connected to these drawings.

If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know... I'm begging you...

Thanks in advance,

Matt

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Within AutoCAD there is no default setting for ‘Overlay’ option. You need to select the ‘Overlay’ option once in the ‘Attach External Reference’ pop-up window.

Message 3 of 5

When using the project navigator, AutoCAD MEP will attach XREFs to constructs as Overlays and when attaching Xrefs to Views it will Attach them.  This is done purposedly and is in line with how the project navigator should be used.  Constructs are attached as overlays because when you are dragging one construct into another construct or into a view then you do not want any xrefs to come with it.  You only want the construct you selected.  However, when you drag a view into a sheet you want/need the xrefs attached to the view to come with the view (container) drawing.  You should not be dragging a view into another view or into a construct.  By design you should only drag them into sheets.

I am sure that AutoCAD Architecure works the same way as MEP in this regard.

Message 4 of 5
Keith.Brown
in reply to: Keith.Brown

I forgot to mention that you cannot change this behavior when DRAGGING a file from the navigator palette to model space.  You can however rightclick on a drawing in the project navigator and select OverLay or Attach and it will insert that drawing into the current drawing using your right click choice as the method of attachement.

AttachVSOverlay.png

Message 5 of 5
mbabich
in reply to: Keith.Brown

Keith,

Thank you for your response. I am already aware of the process flow of PN (Construct/Element > View > Sheet) and how it SHOULD be used. However, we are an interior design firm and we use PN a little differently than it was originally intended. I have repeatedly explained to my staff as well as our CAD Team how PN works and its best practices but they want what they want. 🙂

I just needed a confirmation that what I was asking for is not possible and you have supplied that information. Now I can move on.

Thanks again,

Mb

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost