AutoCAD Architecture Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Customization Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know a way 2 automate updating property setdefs from some source file?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mdhutchinson
766 Views, 6 Replies

Anyone know a way 2 automate updating property setdefs from some source file?

Does anyone know a way to update a property set definition programatically?

Or via a toolpalette tool.... I see there is with schedules for instance a right-click option to import a schedule style to update it... but I can't find a way to do this with property set definitions.

This would be in AutoCAD Arch (or MEP) 2012 or 2013...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CV438
in reply to: mdhutchinson

I'm in the same boat.  Looking for a way to automate this....

Message 3 of 7

I don't know how to do this programmaticcally but as a workaround in Style Manager, if you have the source file open together with the destination file(s) it is easy to copy and paste the PSD form source to destination.

Message 4 of 7
Keith.Brown

I assume by update you mean attach to an object automatically?

There is a whole sample file in the VB.net or C#.net Samples Directiory that deals with property sets and how to attach them to objects.  You would just need to create an event handler that will fire off whenever an object is created so you could programmatically attach the property set.

I am not sure if this is available using LISP or not.  Maybe looking at the .NET code could get you started in the right direction though.

This functionality is also availble for ObjectARX.

Message 5 of 7
mdhutchinson

No ... The set is already attached to the object. I mean if the property set was modified in a standards 'library' dwg and it needed to be redefined / updated in the dwg where it is being used.

Message 6 of 7
mdhutchinson

I ran across this command... AecApplyToolPSD

when attempt to run it... I get 'This command can only be run from the tool system.'

I tried putting it in a command tool on a tool palette... and I got the same.

I think this might hold a possible way to import a revised property set definition.

Any idease how this can get into the 'tool system' in a way I might be able to experiment with it?

Message 7 of 7
David_W_Koch

A Tag Tool has properties that allow you to specify one or more Property Sets (from a source file) and have them applied to an object (whether or not a Tag is added, and, if a Tag is added, whether or not the Tag references the Property Set(s)).  Perhaps the AecApplyToolPSD command is what is behind this action (I do not know for certain).

I would think that this would follow the usual rules and would only import a Property Set from the source file if the target file did not already have a Property Set of the same name already defined, otherwise, the local definition would be used.  So it would not appear likely that this could be used to update a Property Set definition.  Right clicking on a Tag Tool offers the option to just attach the Property Sets, but it does not have a choice to re-import the Property Sets.  Sounds like that would be a good wish - assuming that the response from Autodesk would not be to use Project Navigator and Project Standards.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost