Did you mean: 

MVB and Cut planes solution

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Matasovsky
1607 Views, 5 Replies

MVB and Cut planes solution

This is just how I handled it.

Created a Classification called LEVEL w/ sub categories 0, 1, 2.

Assigned this classification to Multiview Blocks.

In my Display Representation Set, I assign/check which level I wish to show.

Assign the classification to the MVB after inserting it in the model.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ntellery
in reply to: Matasovsky

Interesting Idea.  As I use one file multilevel and i use layers to filter for levels I also display items from the level below (like roof below).  I've not thought of using Classifications for level control.

If you are using the PN to sort layers (different constructs) why would you need to use classification filter?

Could be useful if you are trying to do multilevel in one file approach without resorting to layer control

I wonder if I could assign a level classification automatically using lisp and CurrLevel value??

mmm food for thought.  thx

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 3 of 6
Matasovsky
in reply to: ntellery

I use Project Navigator...but am moving toward exactly what you described... multilayer in one file approach w/o resorting to layer control.  Invested some time into how to do this after spending some time w/ Revit training.  After seeing how Revit works and knowing enough about the Display Configurations in ACA and MEP to be dangerous....didn't see it being all that difficult to create the multilayer/multilevel Construct in one file approach.  I set different Display Configurations to the appropriate display ranges (Above cut plane, cut plane, below cut plane) for the different floor levels.

In the near future I plan to add the MV blocks to a palette w/ the levels already set.  Right now they come in "Undefined" and I set them when I insert them, but that's simply because I'm at the beginning of this attempt and am now ready to improve on it.

Only thing I haven't had an opporunity to get to using this approach is working w/ stairs.  Started to in my last project and basically ran out of "play" time and had to get it done.

What would be REALLY nice to have is when the display configuration changes... the "Level for Elevation Offset Calculation" (Lower right corner tab - Elevation: ) were to adjust automatically w/ the Display Configuration.  Currently I have to toggle both.  So when I adjust my display configuration to the second floor level, I need to take a second and set that to second floor as well.  Not TOO big a deal because there is a quick "tell" if I didn't do it.  The wall (or whatever item I'm drawing) disappears because it's being drawn on a different level outside the display range.  Still it would be nice if there were a toggle to coordinate the two the way you can set annotation scale to a specific display range (never used or see a use for).  Most of my Annotation scales are pre-set in templates I call up when creating the Construct/View to begin with.  OR....Perhaps it works in reverse.....The display configuration can be assigned to the "Level for Elevation Offset Calculation" so that when I change it there the proper display configuration I set up is being used.

Message 4 of 6
Matasovsky

Just reviewed your blog to see you have been looking into stairs.  Will be borrowing that if you don't mind Smiley Wink

See in further posts you already will understand the Elevation and Z tabs I was referring to in my earlier response.

You appear to be MUCH more advanced in the area of Lisp routines.  Should you happen to advance the idea I have about Display Configuration changing when you change elevation...don't forget to share.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 6
ntellery

email me if you like (just sent you a private message with email) and I'm happy to pass on a demo file that I set up along with the lisp I have developed.

I think I've blogged on what I do with display reps.  Basically grab one (Medium Detail) drag down and drop and it becomes (Medium Detail (2) - ideal for next floor.  I just go in and adjust the cut plane and it's ready.

Stairs I add the same as above for the Object itself and set to each level. Easy to do and works well. Gives you a custom DR to adjust for each floor.

Just working on a 3 level and it's working. Have adjusted a little (text/dims in paperspace) to try out.

I DO use layers for levels as you will see so no hardcoding layer names into content.

I'm happy to share - we can help each other where adesk won't !  I've received good feedback, suggestions and help from those I've shared with already.

oh but I am metric!!   Won't matter to lisp.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 6 of 6
ntellery

Bozo's running this flunky DG have failed again.

First they've let some other user register with the same name as you. (It's probably you anyway)

It asks which one to send to (private message)

So I tick yours but it refuses to acknowledge and send.

"

Please correct the highlighted errors and try again.

• The following login names are ambiguous: matasovsky, matasovsky."

so email me atntelleryatgmaildotcomwithoutthe surrounding stuff and I'll send samples to you.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report