AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xrefing standard details into multiple projects

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
arkitek2s
245 Views, 1 Reply

xrefing standard details into multiple projects

ACA 2012 using PN.

I'm working on 3 different homes using the same details (but not typical to the rest of the office projects - client specific details). currently, I have a 'details' folder in the base client folder which resides the 'std-dtls.dwg'. Within each project, I have a 'details_view' drawing for each project with the 'std-dtls' xref'd into it. but then I created views in each project (triple the work). 

folder tree:
x:\client\details\std-dtls.dwg
x:\client\proj1\views\detail_view.dwg
x:\client\proj1\sheets\9A1.dwg , 9A2.dwg, 9B1.dwg, etc.

x:\client\proj2\views\detail_view.dwg
x:\client\proj2\sheets\9A1.dwg , 9A2.dwg, 9B1.dwg, etc.

x:\client\proj3\views\detail_view.dwg
x:\client\proj3\sheets\9A1.dwg , 9A2.dwg, 9B1.dwg, etc.v

Is there a way to create the necessary views in the std-dtls.dwg and drag/drop them into the sheet for each project?

I did try to create the sheets within the \details\ folder and 'import' the layout into each project. first project worked but when I tried to import into the second project, would not allow me to b/c the layout is being used in another project.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dbroad
in reply to: arkitek2s

As you have already found out, you can only use a standard detail in one project.  But you can store the standard details in a library with the model views already made.  Then copy the details to be used to the specific folders tracked by the sheet set and the views become available for use in the project. 

If you really need a single copy of the drawing to be used in multiple projects, then create a model file with the details by xreffing them from the library. Use that model file for the views to be used for the sheet set.

I prefer the first scenario, because you don't want the details on one project changing after release of CD's by changes made for another project due to detail refinement.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost