AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unwanted artefacts on aecElevations

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ntellery
672 Views, 9 Replies

unwanted artefacts on aecElevations

Does anyone else get these artefacts on their aecElevations?  I am constantly deleting them and can't figure out where they come from. They don't seem to be related to any geometry present in the drawing, come from the OOTB elevation tools.  I delete them like any other linework created in an aecElevation but of course would prefer they don't appear at all.  Once I thought they might come from the survey but no.  They always appear in the bottom left hand corner and are below z0. They are like a star burst, lines mostly leading to a point, just lower than the bottom of the model.  They will move up in the bottom of the elevation tool is raised but there is no geometry to match. Ive just 'bind'ed the xref and they dont appear on refresh

anyone else notice this?

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: ntellery

If you can select and delete them without affecting anything you want to keep they must have been created by the folks drafting in the file.
You need to find out more about if there are there before hand during your processes to get to this point where they are observed or post a before then after DWG files for others to do they same.
Message 3 of 10
danellis2982

We sometimes suffer from these.

They seem to be connected with roofslabs: if we have somewhat complicated roofs, or sometimes just hipped roofs they seem to appear.

I've no proof whatsoever, but my pet theory if that they're from modeled geometry not lining up perfectly, but I've no proof of that.

dJE
Message 4 of 10
ntellery
in reply to: danellis2982

mmm... I don't use roof slabs and my geometry is so simple but I can't deny I get have small errors at times.  Binding the x-ref and seeing them disappear is the first time I've seen any connection at all.

I've had them for years on many different files Dean so I don't believe they are come from geometry especially since they are like nothing I have ever drawn and are random in nature.  I will try to post some more samples and a sample file. 

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 5 of 10
pendean

Post a DWG, let's all have a look 🙂
Message 6 of 10
KathyMoffa

You are right, Nathan.  Xrefs are definitely a source of the problem.   I use a lot of arched openings and windows, and the artifacts in the elevations drive me nuts.     I just did a quick test in an existing project on a wall with an arched opening.  I have no artifacts when I create the elevation in the construct drawing, but do have artifacts when I create it in the view drawing.

Message 7 of 10
ntellery
in reply to: KathyMoffa

Kathy
Can you post a screen grab of what you are referring to? I’ve just noticed some in one file without an x-ref so I’ve kinda ruled that one out.
>From what you said I wonder if you are referring to something else, perhaps segmentation or like from curves.

I’ve attached another picture zoomed way down into the corner of a room layout elevation. the 10mm is wall tiles.
The artefact appears below the level of the elevation tool which is set to 0 in this case so it is outside the area the elevation is capturing.
It appears in different ways, different number of lines, different angles each time on different aecElevations, sometimes not at all.
Sometimes it is quite large and I have edit elevation and delete. They reappear each time it is regenerated as opposed to linework that is erased.

It mostly appears to be rays from a point but not always.

Dean I will try to simplify a drawing file down to enough to post.
www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 8 of 10
KathyMoffa

Nathan, I have seen a lot of artifacts, but mostly from curves, and have not seen the lower left occurrence in your png.  Odd, however, that I don't have the segmentation in the Construct drawing, but do have it in the View. Since I don't typically do elevations in the construct drawing, I hadn't noticed the difference before.

Message 9 of 10
odin

Nathan,

It appears to be a Model Extents Marker.  Don't ask me how to turn it off.  I attached a shot of what mine looks like when I get hit with it.  If you set the Lower Extension to a bigger value it should move the "artifact" out of the way.  I typically use an AEC Polygon Mask to remove linework below slabs and footings so I end up hiding this beast too.

Also, you can improve the artifact by going to the Model Display Representation of the Elevation Line Object and turning off all Components.

Cheers,

Odin Cary

Principal, ARCHIdigm

http://www.archidigm.com

Message 10 of 10
ntellery
in reply to: odin

Thanks Odin, that does sound more like what it is and it's strange that is should appear at all.

I'll try that option to turn all off.

As I have the bottom of elevation at ground level (if ground flat) the artefact generally is shooting into the elevation area so I can't mask and have to edit-delete.  Be great to be able to turn it off.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost