AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Severe Error: file error" when printing, especially to PDF

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
darcydurgan13
1870 Views, 4 Replies

"Severe Error: file error" when printing, especially to PDF

Has anyone else encountered this error?  

It has happened in multiple files, across multiple projects.  It most often shows up in the plot & publish details:

Job: - Plotted with Errors(s)

Job ID: 4
Sheet set name:
Date and time started: 3/22/2013 11:37:48 AM
Date and time completed: 3/22/2013 11:37:50 AM
UserID: ddurgan
Profile ID: NAC ACADA 2011 Win7 SPO
Total sheets: 1
Sheets plotted: 1
Number of errors: 1
Number of warnings: 0

Sheet: - Plotted

File: [ ]
Category name:
Page setup:
Device name: PDF995.pc3
Plot file path:
Paper size: Tabloid

SEVERE ERROR: file error

Sometimes the error appears when the job is plotted; sometimes it prevents the job from plotting.  I can't seem to narrow down whether it's related to corrupted CAD files, or the PDF device driver, or some other issue.  Has anyone else seen it?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Shawn_Niles
in reply to: darcydurgan13

One test you can try is using a different PDF driver to see the results. One that we have had a lot of success with is the CutePDF driver. You can download this for free at www.cutepdf.com and try plotting with it. If it works, then we'll know it is something with the PDF995 driver.

Shawn Niles
Message 3 of 5
leosundberg
in reply to: Shawn_Niles

I get the following problem, I can't plot to PDF. I only get this message:

"Adobe PDF: This Plotter configuration cannot be used for one of these reasons: the driver cannot be found, the device cannot be found, or the driver has a problem. The None plot device has been substituted."

Is it something Adobe has done, and how do I undo it? I didn't have this problem prior to installing Adobe acrobat, I had Foxit Phantom and it worked like a charm...

Message 4 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: leosundberg

Welcome to the community!

Are you certain that the Adobe Acrobat installation was fully successful?  The error message suggests that the Adobe PDF plotter driver is either not found or has a problem.  To what system printer does the plotter configuration file for Adobe PDF point?  Can you successfully print using that system printer from another program, such as a word processing program?

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 5
leosundberg
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thank you

Can you successfully print using that system printer from another program, such as a word processing program?

No. What can I do about it? Contact Adobe?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost