AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"F" Command Quick Key Prompting "Fast Select" instead of "Fillet"

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
alw2007
21012 Views, 17 Replies

"F" Command Quick Key Prompting "Fast Select" instead of "Fillet"

Hi There,

I'm having a strange problem which I'm sure has an easy fix..

I recently upgraded to Architecture 2014 and have been trying to get things "back to normal".

I've got everything the way I like it except for my "fillet" command.

When I type "f" enter, it prompts "fast select" instead of "fillet" every other time I type it.

So - if I do it once, fast select comes up and if I hit escape and type "f" enter" again immediately after fillet will come up and if I do it again, fast select comes up and so on alternating each time.

I have tried searching for a solution and have checked my Program Parameters which SAY that it should be prompting "fillet". I've also tried looking at my CUI to see if there were conflicting commands there, but there was nothing abnormal.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
David_W_Koch
in reply to: alw2007

Interesting.  I am able to reproduce what you are seeing, more or less.  (I think I was getting FILLET less than half of the time.)  FASTSEL is an Express Tool (and set up to respond to FS as well).

This appears to be an effect of the AutoComplete function for Command Line input.  If you disable that, and hit the spacebar or enter key before the Command Line Suggestion List deploys (before the INPUTSEARCHDELAY time expires - default is 300 milliseconds), the command alias works without fail.  Of course, with AutoComplete disabled, if you leave the other options for the Command Line Suggestion List active and fail to execute the command before the list deploys, you will not have the FILLET command on the list of choices.  You could disable all of the Command Line Suggestion List features so that the list never shows up, but I find that useful and would not want to do that.

OK - here is something of a workaround.  Left click on the wrench icon at the left side of the Command line, and in the Input Search Options dialog, verify that you have Sort suggestions set to "According to frequency of use" rather than "Alphabetically".  Assuming you use FILLET more that FASTSEL, FILLET should eventually rise above FASTSEL or FS and become the default AutoComplete choice.  Unfortunately, it appears that the initial sorting is alphabetically, until AutoCAD has a chance to learn what you use the most.  Even more unfortunate, with AutoComplete active, it was running FASTSEL more that FILLET for me, dooming any hope of FILLET rising to the top.  I did find that if I disabled AutoComplete temporarily and then used the FILLET command (via the "F" alias) many times, that I was able to get FILLET to the top of the list and now my "F" alias works, even with AutoComplete turned on.  Provided that FILLET remains your favorite command that starts with "F", that should stay at the top and the alias should be respected.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 18
alw2007
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Beautiful!
It worked perfectly!

I disabled the auto complete, hit "f" enter a dozen times, turned it back on and now it works without fail!

It's so difficult to retrain your brain to type different keys when you've been doing it for YEARS! So - Thank You!
Message 4 of 18
asimasko

Here's how I "fixed" it.  Type in "autocomplete" on the command and hit ENTER.  -INPUTSERACHOPTIONS will show on the command line.  Set all vaiables to N except Delay.  Probalby doesn't matter what that is since everything else is set to N.

Thanks AutoDESK for waisting my time slowing down my production with one of your "improvements" and the time it took to find a fix.  It would really be nice if you could go to one place and turn it off.

Message 5 of 18
David_W_Koch
in reply to: asimasko

On the Command Line, select the Customize tool (wrench icon), and then select Input Search Options from the context menu.  The Input Search Options dialog that opens allows you to control the AutoComplete and AutoCorrect features.  Clearing the check marks for Enable AutoComplete, Enable AutoCorrect and Search content at command line will completely disable these features.  I suppose that clearing three toggles does not qualify as "one place", but it is close.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 18
dthompson

It would be better if one quick-key commend always did one thing. Always. Just like it always did.

Message 7 of 18
ssomick

I turned off all auto-complete settings, after setting the delay to 10000. & it still thinks I type "M" (or sometimes "MP") when I type "MPP", or "L" (or sometimes "Li") when I type "Lii". It is utterly ridiculous that one has to type slowly to enter a command properly or worse yet a command sequence. Does not anyone at autodesk use autoCAD? Even to test all of the new "awesome" "features"? 

Autodesk: 10 steps forward, 10,000 steps back.

Message 8 of 18
asimasko
in reply to: asimasko

Just updated to Autodesk Building Design Suite Premium 2017. Guess what? Still busted and I wasted a bunch of time finding my old post to fix this. Thanks again Autodesk.

Message 9 of 18
ragheednakkash
in reply to: dthompson

I totally agree with you "dthopmson", It doesn't make sense that you get more than one command for same letter shortcut, then what is the acad.pgp for and why can't prioritize these shortcuts over the annoying commands like fastsel.

Message 10 of 18
jfarrell

Having the same problem with AutoCAD MEP 2013. Found the answer on CADTutor. Apparently the AEC products have somehow replaced FILLET with AECFILLET. So your acad.pgp file needs to read "F, *AECFILLET" instead of "F, *FILLET". Save and then REINIT and you should be good to go.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: jfarrell

Thanks for posting the fix!!! I Changed FILLET to AECFILLET like you siad and works normal again! I was so frustrated the Fillet shortcut stop working. I had to changed it to 'FF' for a temporary fix. 

Message 12 of 18
RMooreRY6NT
in reply to: Anonymous

If it's going to give you such an issue, why not just use your fillet command, and then when you're done and need to re-use it, just type "Enter" and it will repeat the last command you entered. I could see it being annoying if you're not using fillet command consecutively, but that's what it sounded like you're doing. I use AutoCAD E 2017, but I'm assuming that the architectural version has all of the same commands.

Message 13 of 18
dmarinaroLZG35

I just started working for this firm, my "F" command gives me Filetab instead.

Hope that your solution works in the long run

thanks

Message 14 of 18

If that's not the command you're looking to use for "F", just choose the wrench icon next to your command line and check the box under Sort Suggestions and make sure "According to frequency of usage" is marked.

Message 15 of 18

I disable autocomplete and it worked.

thks

Message 16 of 18

Good to hear 🙂

Message 17 of 18
rbismill

Thanks, This is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks all for taking time and responding to our problems.

Message 18 of 18
jmattoni

I used your solution, but it didn't quite work for me, maybe it does for others, but you noted the Milliseconds for the time delay, and I upped that to 1,000 and this has solved the issue for me.  Thank you for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost