AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Command not allowed..." but using same version of ACAD Arch

42 REPLIES 42
SOLVED
Message 1 of 43
Anonymous
23088 Views, 42 Replies

"Command not allowed..." but using same version of ACAD Arch

Using AutoCad Architecture 2012 and Windows 7

I have been receiving this error message "Command not allowed because drawing contains objects from a newer version of this application."

The problem being I am using the same version of AutoCad Arch 2012 that the drawings were created in.  I get this message on various ribbon tools like _AecAnnoRevisionCloudAdd.

Any ideas?

Gracias!

42 REPLIES 42
Message 21 of 43
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

You're right, it will strip out AEC objects like walls, doors and whatnot. I run into the issue after going behind someone who used 2013 or 2014 Architecture and I'm using 2012 Vanilla. Even though they export out the aec content, I still get errors just inserting standard older blocks, so for me, saving as an older DXF sorta cleans the file and rids it of the proxy objects that cause the errors.

So, all things considered, everyone should make a copy of your offending file(s) before trying my little trick.  🙂

Message 22 of 43
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

If the users of ACA 2013 or 2014 were Exporting to AutoCAD 2010 format, there should be no AEC objects to cause issues.  If they are simply using SAVEAS to save back to the earlier format, then there will be issues.  I would not expect vanilla AutoCAD to lose commands, however - but not having used vanilla AutoCAD in well over 10 years, I could not say whether there is some sort of nag dialog.

For someone using ACA 2012, a file that has been opened and saved from 2013 or 2014 back to the 2010 format will have future objects in it, and all AEC commands will be disabled.  This includes several commands that one might think are AutoCAD commands, such as FILLET, because ACA redefines the FILLET command to include the ability to fillet AEC objects like Walls.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 23 of 43
calfcreek_2

Our firm does not collaborate on the Architectural aspect of drawings; so I'm thinking this will not be an issue for us. However, I am concerned that our consultants may have THEIR AEC content disabled when opening one of our drawings. Is that the case? IOW if I use Architectural AEC content such as walls and doors, then save or export to older version, will AutoCad MEP be able to open and use their own AEC objects? Clear as mud I hope.

Thanks for your time.

Keith D. Rodebush

RA

Message 24 of 43
pendean
in reply to: calfcreek_2

The answer to your question is the autocad dwg file format:

If arch/mep are all in 2013-2012 or 2010-2011-2012 or 2007-2008-2009 there are no issues exchanging files.

if one party on the project is in a higher version autocad they will "break" the file(s) they save for everyone else.

It's that simple. It has nothing to do with using Arch or MEP or Civil or plain AutoCAD.
Message 25 of 43
calfcreek_2

Thanks. This seems different than past format changes. The complete disabling of commands is not something I remember being an issue in prior releases. Before you just got an object enabler and you were in business. This is partly why we stuck with 2009 for so long. Sigh.
Message 26 of 43
pendean

It's a dramatic method of reminding end users about AEC object compatibility changes within new DWG formats that started back in ADT2004.

FYI, Autodesk is moving to a subscrpition-only model for all AutoCAD versions starting Feb 2015: after that the cost of jumping back in are going to be crazy-pricey I suspect. So you all better contact a reseller and develop a plan sooner rather than later.
Message 27 of 43
calfcreek_2

Just FYI,

I used ACA 14 to save a drawing back to R14 dwg format. I then opened a new drawing in ACA 09 and Xref'd the R14 file into. I could see all of the content and my tools were not disabled. I realize this doesn't help for people collaborating on the same content, but for a consultant who is just adding their own AEC content this may be helpful to know.

Regards,

Keith D. Rodebush

RA

Message 28 of 43
David_W_Koch

R14 predates current ACA/ADT content.  (ADT1 was contemporary, but I did not use it.  If memory serves, it was still based on Softdesk routines/content and AEC objects did not appear until ADT2.  I could be wrong about that.)  Saving back to R14 would likely be equivalent to exporting/exploding AEC content.

Current AEC content would only be disabled if you actually open the file, not simply externally reference it.  Without proxy graphics being enabled, you will not get the expected graphics when externally referencing a file that has been saved back to a previous release (just tested this saving a file created in ACA 2010, saved as back to the 2007 format and externally referenced in 2009).  If I open that file in 2009, then my AEC commands are disabled, due to the presence of future format objects.

If the purpose of the shared file is to act as a non-editable background external reference file (especially if only for a plan view), then exporting the file to a previous format is probably the best way to go.  If your other project partners need to be able to edit your AEC content or add AEC content of their own to the same file and have the file round-trip between you, then you need to be working on releases of the same file format.  (Ideally on the exact same release, as there are ocassionally new features added without a file format change that may not behave as desired in earlier releases even when the file format is the same.)

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 29 of 43

I was able to resolve this by starting from my template file, and copying everything over into it.

On an aside, this is definitely a planned obsolence strategy on Autodesk's part. Saving "down" an empty file should not create this issue, but it does. Whatever objects in the database that are incompatible with the older version could be omittied or converted down, or exploded. That's the whole idea behind saving to an older version. It appers to me that disabling features like SELECTSIMILAR must be coded in intentionally with just some kind of boolean tag on the file, and not the objects as copying them to a good file works just fine. That could be done in the save-down method itself by just running methods that obviously already exist in their code library.

Autodesk would get a lot of heat if software you bought would reduce functionality after 4 years. They couldn't do that, but this behavior is essentially the same if you collaborate with other offices, and is dissappointing.

Message 30 of 43
jason

I have a similar issue. I created a site drawing in Autocad LT 2018, but saved as 2010. Now I want to go into Civil 3D 2013 and create points but I am getting that same error message. I even tried saving it as 2004 and still got same message.

Message 31 of 43
David_W_Koch
in reply to: jason

AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT have the ACA/AMEP object enabler built in, and may introduce non-graphical AEC objects into a file (or perhaps some were introduced in some other way).  Using SAVEAS to save to the 2010 format will not convert 2018-format AEC objects to a prior format.  Use the -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command and follow the prompts at the command line to save the file in a previous file format with all AEC objects exploded.  That will allow a version of Civil 3D that uses a prior file format to run without disabling the Civil 3D commands, but would explode any AEC objects in the file.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 32 of 43
derrickp

No you are not over-reacting.

And before one of the moderators defend autodesks posterity and delete my post maybe a handful will

get to see this because I for one and more than tire of having to deal with issues from products I pay a lot of money for.

I personally am fed up with this type of nonsense.

Microsoft has been sued several times for territorial nonsense like this. Autodesk has for the most part monopolized the A&E industry. These little code inserts using object based technology to create a "need" addition to industry software is near criminal.

However there is virtually nothing you can do.

1: You can stay with older versions take the issues that come with dated technology.

or

2: Keep current and become the R&D labs and find the problems for them.

Its like putting your money in a savings account and paying more in service fees than the crap interest you are given for using your money. Maybe some day the human race will move away from the need to incur financial gain in order to fuel progress, we will stop investing in wars that achieve nothing and feeding the mega wealthy like the owners of autodesk and Microsoft with our sweat and short lives.

Until then we are all forced to bend to this crap.

Ugg

Disgruntled

Message 33 of 43
Anonymous

"I know this is an old thread but here is one solution...save the offending file down to 2000 DXF, then close Autocad. reopen the file and save back to a DWG...all will work fine"

At least someone has useful solutions to this problem.  AutoCAD is just greedy and wants everyone to keep upgrading and buying new versions.  The weird thing is that it actually has the opposite effect, where I don't want to used the newer versions because I want to be able to use them on older versions if I need to. 

Fillet and Units have nothing to do with these objects and everything to do with general usability of the software.  This is planned obsolescence.  If it weren't then AutoCAD would give the user the ability to save back to the older version and preserve the integrity of the objects if they did not actually use new AEC objects, but even if there are not objects this happens.  THIS IS GREED plain and simple, and it is the biggest reason I would not buy AutoCAD for personal use any more, but my work still has to use it because it has a virtual monopoly in the industry.

Message 34 of 43
Anonymous
in reply to: jason

What command are you using to create points?

Message 35 of 43
Anonymous
in reply to: CivicDesignDevelopment

You are correct, and the commands they disable don't make sense for the AEC objects either.  Units and Fillet are disabled.  Why?!  What do they have to do with any objects?  They seem to have everything to do with usability and annoying the user into upgrading.

Message 36 of 43
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks, "export" does make "UNITS" and "FILLET" work again.  Why don't they just do this for "saveas"?  This problem makes AutoCAD look really bad.  You would think they would have made this an option when we "saveas" to older versions.

Message 37 of 43
David_W_Koch

FWIW, AutoCAD Architecture redefines the UNITS and FILLET commands; those are AEC commands in AutoCAD Architecture.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 38 of 43
derrickp

Precisely. Yet and still we see canned responses assuming we are all unassuming idiots.

Autodesk FIX your products problems and stop using us as RnD.

Thank you for reading this;)

Cheers

Message 39 of 43
pendean
in reply to: derrickp

Autodesk looks for feedback here https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

If enough users do it and often it can change.

Message 40 of 43
Anonymous

Same thing happened to me when i accidentally opened and save in LT version. When i open the file in the office, all pre set AEC are no longer working and xrefs cannot be detached and this same notification pops up. Tried audit and purge and conversion in true view are all not working.

Found out that opening a new sheet in the office cad, and copying the objects from Lt version of cad then save. Problems solve. Aec and xrefs working back as normal and no longer have the notification.

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost