AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extraneous lintypes and text styles

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jdcho
835 Views, 11 Replies

extraneous lintypes and text styles

I'm new to this company and still learning the ropes on there standards and how they do things. I have a floor plan and when I was cleaning it up, I noticed some extraneous linetypes and text styles. Being the good drafter that I am, I tried to clean it up, but to no avail. I even tried to make a new file, but when I copy clipped it in, it brings in the extra linetypes and text styles. Ran audit, but didn't find anything unusual. I even deleted everything but can't seem to purge out the extra linetypes and text styles. anybody have any ideas on how to remove them? see attached for the drawing file. running autocad architecture 2012 on windows 7 64 bit machine. and the files was originally created in revit, that was converted out.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Victoria.Studley
in reply to: jdcho

Hi jdukc,

You might try the DGN Hotfix that was released earlier this year. Files with Microstation content sometimes bloat and the linetypes cannot be purged by typical file cleaning methods.

Here is a link to the Hotfix if you're using 2013 or 2014: AutoCAD DGN Hotfix (2013/2014)

Here is the link if you're using 2012: AutoCAD DGN Hotfix (2012)

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Tags (3)
Message 3 of 12
David_W_Koch

Your file did not attach.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 12
David_W_Koch

Are you certain that the "extraneous" linetypes and text styles are unreferenced?  Revit exports often end up with linetypes and text styles with non-AutoCAD-standard naming, but which are, in fact, used in the exported content.  After you tried deleting all of the content, did you then purge all block definitions and dimension styles, or did you just try to immediately purge the linetypes and text styles.  Linetypes and text styles referenced by objects in a block definition or a dimension style will not be purgeable until the referencing objects are purged.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 12
jdcho
in reply to: Victoria.Studley

thanks for the reply. i noticed that the hotfix was for autocad ... will this work for autocad architecture?
Message 6 of 12
jdcho
in reply to: David_W_Koch

hopefully the file attached this time. after i noticed the extraneous stuff, i tried to find out what was inserting the linetypes and text styles, but was taking too long. so i started deleting in large fences and wound up deleted all. I then purged all but the linetypes and text styles were still there. seems like it was embedded in the file.
Message 7 of 12
jdcho

just seeing if it will post the drawing file
Message 8 of 12
David_W_Koch

@jdcho wrote:
hopefully the file attached this time. after i noticed the extraneous stuff, i tried to find out what was inserting the linetypes and text styles, but was taking too long. so i started deleting in large fences and wound up deleted all. I then purged all but the linetypes and text styles were still there. seems like it was embedded in the file.

In that case, perhaps the DGN hotfix will help.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 12
David_W_Koch

@jdcho wrote:
just seeing if it will post the drawing file
This post did not have an attachment, either.  There have been reported issues with being able to make attachments in the recently updated Discussion Groups.  Specifically, if AddThis.com is blocked, certain functions do not work properly, including file attachments.  The Autodesk team responsible for the Discussion Groups is aware of the issue and is looking into solutions.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 10 of 12
Victoria.Studley

Hi jdukc,

Yes, the DGN Hotfix works for all versions of AutoCAD (core, Architecture, MEP, etc.). Have you tried it, and did it help purge the extraneous content?

If not, I'd like to take a look at the file to assist you further. We can try one of the following options:

1. Host the file using a utility like Dropbox, and paste the link to the file here in the forum.

2. Send the file to me in a private message, which might prove more successful than trying to post it in a message here.

3. I can open a case for you through your Subscription Center account, where you can attach the file and we can resolve the issue via a 1:1 case.

Let me know what you'd like to do, and I'll be happy to assist you.

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 11 of 12
jdcho
in reply to: Victoria.Studley

yes the hotfix worked. after the dgnpurge command, i purged the drawing file, all the extraneous stuff went away. thank you
Message 12 of 12
JayZoop

One in a great while a client’s AutoCAD file will be infected with a long list of Text Styles that I cannot delete.  The file size is too large and text editing is very slow.  I have the fix.

First, go to the folder in explore so you can see the autocad files

1.) Open infected autocad file

2.) type the "dxfout" command and it will prompt you to save as an AutoCAD Interchange file.   Give it a random name like  XXXX because you will delete it in the very end.

3.) Now close the infected file and open the file XXXX

4.) Purge (that will remove the long list of Text Styles).

5.) SaveAs over the infected file and Whalla!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost